Chapter 46 : R. I. P Coffee

Chapter 46 – R. I. P Coffee

    After lunch had ended and Kelly and I parted ways with Madison I couldn't quite wrap my mind around everything that my supposed best friend had told me. She took a sip of her sprite soda as we walked side by side. She looked uneasy in the kind of I hope she forgets about our small fight, totally shouldn't have blown my top and get mad at her like that sort of way.

"I still can't believe you and Madison are cousins." I breathed.

"Were cousins." She corrected, shooting the can of soda basketball style into the trash bin we were passing.

"Why didn't you tell me?" It was the second time I had asked her for the day and was still not provided with a reasonable answer. She was too busy cheering herself on once the can instantly dropped in the bin when she shot it.

I gave her a look and she sighed. "I just - I don't know. Could you stop asking me for one second?"

I didn't say anything then. I stayed quiet and we finished walking. I got distracted in class easily, my brain all befuddled and wanting answers. When Mr. Grape asked me a question in Geography I hadn't even known he had called on me. He didn't even repeat the question which resulted in me uttering a clueless "Egypt?". We were in geography after all.

When he had wiped his sweaty forehead with the blue rag in his hand and said an awkward no I couldn't believe it was me who had said that word. I paid attention in class - I knew all the answers to every single question - well not everyone single question - but I was an amazing student whose life was being dramatically and abruptly shaken by the actions of her not so innocent younger sister.

Though I hadn't let Gabby take full responsibility for the cause of my life's balance upsetting. I should have picked a better hiding spot for my book of letters, I shouldn't have thrown it down furiously on that table that day leaving it available for Gabby's handling. I shouldn't have brought it to school, forget my bag which resulted in an idiotic attempt at getting it back from Serena's brother and his stooges which if hadn't happened Byron wouldn't have figured out that I write letters to him.

But most importantly if I hadn't written the letters in the first place any of this wouldn't have happened, but it was too late. Everything had been done and there was no going back.

After school Byron and Bianca had asked me if I wanted a ride home, but I didn't feel like driving with them especially with the thought sunk in my head that someday we'd all be step siblings if our parents decided to tie the knot. I would have kissed my step brother which was definitely not on my to do list.

My mind steered over to Jace for a second. He had been the little adorable creep he was and put his number in my phone, calling me out of nowhere a few seconds after Kelly and I left Madison. I smiled at the thought of him. I could imagine him with a small smirk with his bare torso with splats of yellow, blue, and red paint. I did something pretty extreme and thought of more extreme little games that he and I would get into much like the paint one.

        I laughed then as I walked down the steps of Lincoln Vale – the school which had brought me good times and bad - I could imagine me graduating this year, relieved of the students that caused me so much unbearable pain. But there was always one face that kept me going and that face belonged to Carter Woods.

My smile faded quickly. I was such a horrible person. Stuffing his unconscious body in the trunk of the guy who could not bare to be in the same room as him. I'd never truly asked Byron what had become of Carter which I found extremely stupid of me. He hadn't shown up to classes – well at least I hadn't seen him and it made my heart beat increased.