Chapter 5: Almost Doesn't Count

"It might seem crazy what I'm about to say. Sunshine she's here, you can take a break. I'm a hot air balloon that could go to space. With the air, like I don't care baby by the way..Because I'm H--"

I swatted the alarm clock like a fly. Just before it got to its chorus. After yesterday I was not happy. Besides, as catchy as that song was, it drove me insane. But no. It wasn't my alarm clock that played such an unforgettable tune. It was Kelly's. She had decided to stay the night having Aven bring over her blankets, pillows, ocean wave records and sleep detesting alarm clock.

It wasn't that she thought less of the accommodation of my room. She just couldn't stand to sleep anywhere without a piece of home. Just like in kindergarten. She always brought a bundle of things to satisfy her for nap time.

And I know you're wondering who Aven is. But if not, I'll still tell you. No, he wasn't a boyfriend or family member but I'd like to think of him as one. He was Mitch's younger brother. Yes, West's friend. Old Christmas ham eating Mitch. He was about four months older than us and was also secretly in love with Kelly. She knew, but adored playing hard to get.

But Aven was really funny and a bundle of fun. There was a lot that a girl would find attractive about him. And with his looks he could definitely fulfill the title of a male model.

I sat up and stretched. My stretch was followed by a dying whale yawn that I produced before I tossed my feet over the bed edge. I grabbed my glasses off of the drawer and wiped a little smudge off of one of the lenses with the edge of my tee shirt, putting them on and taking a quick glance at Kelly who had fallen asleep in front of the television, laying in the yellow bean bag chair with an empty popcorn bowl in her lap. I laughed at how funny she looked with her mouth open as she snored.

So attractive

The silence of the room was destroyed by pots and pans clattering to the ground downstairs. Way to start off the morning, Gabby. But what was she doing up so early?

I turned my head away from the bright torch light that enhanced the hallway. Right now it had to be about six thirty in the morning or maybe earlier. I crept inside the living room and gasped. The back door was wide open, all the pans and pots sprawled out onto the kitchen floor and the flat screen television that hung on our living room wall was gone.

We've been robbed.

*

Gabby clung to my leg like a kitten that had just got thrown into a icy pool of water. Outside was extremely cold and at this point I was't surprised Aubrey didn't have icicles hanging from her nose. Her sleep attire was absolutely revealing, but she managed to keep warm with Gabby's 'Little Mermaid' beach towel. I watched the well fitted dark skin male police officer nod his head every time Ms. Jeffrey said something. She stroked Sir Doux's fur as if her life depended on it.

"Do you think they'll catch the people who stole our television, Cerise?" Gabby asks innocently looking up at me with puppy dog eyes.

I wasn't sure if saying yes would solve the world's problems right now, but I went for it.

"Of course they will. But I hope that's all they took." I say muttering the last part under my breath.

The police car lights flashed repeatedly and reflected off of my glasses. The male officer returned to the passenger seat and the skinny blonde female police officer made her way over to us.