Chapter 9: Denial Hit Me Like A Brick (Part Two)

Was it over yet? Did the blade already dive through my neck, ending me once and for all? The tight grip on my wrist faded seconds ago, but I was too petrified to look. After womaning up, I peeked with my left eye and opened both when I saw the drunk offender laying on the tile floor. What just happened?

"Who is that guy?" The familiar male voice asks. The person used one of his sneakers to roll the guy on his back.

I looked up and saw the familiar friendly face. Aven Harper. There he was with his light blue eyes and short dark black hair that somehow had a mind of its own. The back part of his hair is a little longer, resting on his neck. The top portion of his hair is spiked up a bit and he looks exhausted. I ignored his question and went around the body lying between us.

"Is he dead?" I asked innocently, rubbing my sore wrists, keeping all my focus on the man.

"Why? Do you want him to be? I know a guy that can-" He starts, but then I glare at him impatiently. "Lighten up. He's not dead. I just knocked him out. Not hard enough to kill him." He says, rubbing his light blue eyes tiredly.

"How'd you know I was here?" I ask but then put my palm up in a halt position. "Kelly." We said in unison.

I laughed. "Thanks."

"What happened?"

"I was locking up and he just came in demanding for money." I answered. "Obviously drunk" I added

"Well, in the morning this will all seem like a  dream to him." Aven laughs, lugging the man up by his back.

"Wha--Where are you carrying him? Did you call the cops?" I ask him, but he's obviously ignoring me. With the guy throw over his back, he makes his way to the door.

"Are you done locking up?" He asks

"Uh, wait." I go into the kitchen, into the break room and grab the hamster container before going back out into the dining area.

"Now I'm ready." I nod watching as he stares oddly at the housing container in my hands.

"New Pet?"

"I guess you can say that." I said with a shrug

"I don't even wanna know." He shakes his head. "Open the door."

I do as told and we make our way around the side of the bakery where the parking lot is located. It's almost the end of September and it's tremendously cold. I shivered and rubbed my palm together repetitively, making some sort of noise with my hands that gets to Aven.

"Here!" Aven tosses me a dark green jacket which I won't be surprised if it covers my whole body because of it's size. Aven was also a football player, but he didn't attend our school.

I placed my hands through the sleeves and hug the jacket tight for warmth. I hid my hands in the pockets as I watched Aven throw the guy into the backseat of his silver Ford Mustang.

"We're going to jail, you know that right?" I ask him in a deadpan manner, trying to dig a hole through the jacket for additional warmth.

"Kelly will bail us out. No worries." He joked, slamming the back door behind. "Get in."

I pondered over the thought of actually getting arrested for kidnapping some drunk guy. Heck, maybe the drunk guy would end up in the same cell as the both of us for harassment. I gave in to that other thought that yelled 'Get in the freaking car, it's freezing out here!' And took the available passenger seat.

After closing the door behind, Aven jumped in a second later. For some reason I couldn't take my eyes off of the drunk guy who was sprawled out in the back seat motionlessly. Thoughts of how he could wake up instantly and begin strangling me filled my brain. Or worse, use that knife of his.