Chapter 22: It all Started With A Letter Under A Red Velvet Cupcake

"I still don't believe what you're telling me, Cerise. Byron was actually being nice?" Kelly leaned over to me, putting  her upper body weight on her folded arms

"Is that all you got from that whole paragraph?"

I had dragged Kelly into the library and told her everything from yesterday, but I didn't see how she didn't question the part on Byron's dad and my mother.

"It isn't like Byron to be nice to you all of the sudden. What is that guy up to?"

"Shh!" Mrs. Crenchoff shushed us, still not bothering to look up from her computer

I placed my hands on Kelly's mouth before narrowing my eyes to her. "Byron's dad is dating my mother." I repeated, this time slower than before.

She rolled her eyes and removed my hand, placing it onto the table. "Cerise, it won't last a week. If Byron's dad is anything like him, then surely it won't."

I let that sunk in but still didn't believe it one bit. Mom and Ned seemed to be infatuated with each other. The bell rung for first period to begin signaling  Kelly and I to go our separate ways.

While walking to class I could only think about one advantage from  Mom's relationship. Now she hadn't bother to force me into something to wear this morning because she was too busy choosing something to wear to the new restaurant that Ned opened up across the city.

No kids allowed.

I shivered at the thought. With all focus on my thoughts and not where I was walking I bumped into someone.

"Cerise? Hey, didn't see you yesterday."

Carter.

How could I forget about that? I was suppose to meet him at the park yesterday.

Thanks so much, mother.

"I'm really sorry. My mom had this date thing and she forced us to come along but I didn't really want to go. I told her I had somewhere to be but then she--" I stopped rambling on when his index finger met my lips

"It's okay." He reassured

Before I could respond a football soared over his head, but he caught it instantly with his free hand that was not linked to my lips.

When he finally removed it he turned around to address the direction it came from. I cocked my head to see behind him since he was taller.

"Come on, man. Throw the football." Sean Eagan whined about three feet away

"No footballs in the hallway, Eagan." Carter told him, gently tossing it back

"Yes, Principal Woods." Sean smirked with an army salute. "Wouldn't want to get hit with another football, now would we?" His hazel eyes twinkling with amusement as they found me

"Sean."

"Alright, alright." He laughed putting his hands up in defense as he went around the corner

I mentally sighed as Carter turned back towards me. Believe it or not; I still had headaches from that stupid football. I got a small light red bruise from it beside my right eye which I think Byron noticed since he kept apologizing as we were leaving.

"Sorry about him." Carter apologized for Sean's stupidity

"It's okay. What's left for the project?"

"Just sorting out a few charts, but that's nothing. The only thing we have to do is name the thing." He answered

I folded my arms and raised my eyebrows at his sentence. He knew I never liked when he called our project a thing. "The furry adorable bundle of breath." He replied wryly as I smiled. "Better?"