Chapter 19: Mom's Back In The City?

Chapter 19: Mom's Back In The City?

"I still can't believe you're here." I said in disbelief to the woman sitting before me 

"What? You'd rather I never come back to see my precious girls." My mother said, ruffling Gabby's brown hair which only made her laugh. It was pretty darn adorable.

To tell you the truth I had never seen my sisters so happy. Even Kelly and somewhat West were having a good time as all of us surrounded mum around the dining room table. But that was just mom. She always wore that vibrant smile that could make anyone happy. When dad died; for a while that smile had disappeared and so did she.

She drowned herself in work afterwards. She had several side jobs, but they were really minor. Not too big like the catering business she had engaged in, a year after dad's death. But that led her to the bakery. Now she was a full on travel agent.

"Whoa, Aubrey. Have you gained weight since the last time I saw  you?" Mom gasped. Did I mention she was a great actress?

Guess not

Her statement made Aubrey run to the full body mirror in the hallway. I swear that girl's appearance is everything to her. We broke out in laughter when mom told her she was just kidding, but it was anything but funny to Aubrey.

"I came in contact with Harmony and she told me about the whole bakery robbery." Mom's smile faded

"It was nothing." Kelly said waving her hand as if it was no big deal which to me it was since I almost died. " The only thing that matters now is that we're alive."

"But I'll be in the city for a few weeks and I've hired security for the bakery. Cameras, everything. I'm even going back to help out Rita."

"That's amazing! Does she know you're in the city?" I exclaimed cheerfully, my glasses practically falling off of my nose

"Yup, called her before I got on the plane." Mom informed me. "But I'm not in a hurry to go back too soon. First I wanna spend some time with you guys. I've been working and haven't seen you girls in at least five months." 

"Six." Aubrey corrected

"Six months." Mom repeated. "But I promise to make it up to each of you. We'll go shopping. You can tell me about everything I've missed. Gossip. Boys." Mom rambled on like a glee filled teenager. 

"That's great to hear. Besides; Cerise could you use the makeover." Kelly elbowed me playfully

"And maybe we can even get rid of those old glasses. How does that sound, sweety?" Mom asked, her eyes gleaming with excitement, but I shook my head.

"I happen to like my glasses."

"Trust me, Cerise. Behind those glasses are a more beautiful girl. Don't you want to unleash her?"

I didn't answer. I never liked the whole idea of 'change'. Even after dad died when mom got the bakery I thought it was a horrific idea. But in some parts I was so right.

"Well, you'll come around to it." She said noticing my awkward silence. 

"We better go. We're suppose to be dropping mom off to her yoga class." Kelly yawns, grabbing onto West's arm who was surprisingly quiet while texting on his cell phone. I guess we've found Vince number two or either he just misses Ronnie who is ''dress shopping'' with her sisters. 

Mom sighed. 'I'm sure she needs it. Having to deal with those poor women."

"I'll see you tomorrow at school, Cerise!" Kelly called out from over her shoulder as she and West made their way to the front door. With a quick bye and closing the front door behind I jogged back into the dining room where the three were.