Chapter 1 : #29

© Civilized_Nerd

"Handwritten love letters will never go out of style."

Chapter 1 : #29 🍰

Chapter 1 : #29 🍰

           A dirty scowl developed on my face as the woman popped her gum between her teeth. Then lazily she glanced at me, her eyes trailing onto the menu board above my head. Her short orange hair was styled in a pixie cut and pink eye shadow excessively sat on her eyelids.

 Her makeup shared similarities with a children's coloring book and the outfit she was wearing didn't compliment it at all. She looked like she ranged in her early forties and showed off way too much flesh in her tight knee high neon green dress, pink jacket and long matching pink heels.

She placed her index finger on her crooked pink lips lost in her thoughts as she scanned the menu board for the God knows what time. The seven or eight impatient customers groaned behind her.

   "Keep your pannies on!" She spat in her Brooklyn accent, glaring at the people behind her.

 She turned her attention back to the menu bored after her audacious remark.

"Have you decided what you want yet, ma'm?" I asked her, hiding the frustration in my voice.

"You know my nephew doesn't like dairy. Sometimes it makes him bloated. I on the other hand love dairy. It's great for my skin." She smiled raising her thunderstorm brows and showing off her lipstick stain teeth.

I nodded my head and glanced down at my blank notepad in an unconcerned manner as she rambled on.

"I think I know what I want now." She said pulling out her dark blue purse.

My eyes lit up with relief as I picked up the notepad ready to write, but then my hands dropped in disappointment as she shook her head and rest her purse on the counter.

"No. Laurie says she's watching her calories. Let me keep looking."

How many people was she ordering for? If I kept this job any longer I would be off to that soft comfortable asylum four blocks down. But this job was important and I had to stick with it. For mum. Even if I sometimes wanted to kill one or two customers with a rolling pin. Including this one.

               I ignored the complaints of the others customers behind her which I was already accustomed to. This was a every day thing. We all knew she was new to the city, but this was ridiculous. And no one knew her name. But the first time she stepped through our 'Claire's Confections' I knew she would be a pain in the butt. And the way she chewed her gum made my skin crawl. 

I rolled my eyes in exasperation. Not too long before a wave of blonde hair half blinded me. Then I realize it's my older sister Harmony who stands in front of me sharing a 'few words' with the woman.