076; arizona misses you

THIRD PERSON.

KATE AND HER DAD SAT OPPOSITE EACH OTHER IN a restaurant downtown. Having already ordered and were now both waiting for their food, it was a perfect time to sit in an awkward silence with each other, despite having so much to say.

Whilst the rest of the restaurant was so lively, Mike took a few sips of his drink as he placed down on the table, watching his daughter glance around the room to avoid any eye contact with her dad.

"I'm sorry your mom couldn't make it," he spoke up, the girl immediately turning to look at him as she frowned and shook her head.

"It's fine, don't worry about it." Kate shrugged, "It's saved me creating a scene in a restaurant from one of her petty comments."

"I know she doesn't agree with the music lifestyle you got going on," he sighed, "but at least it's nice that she's trying to be involved in your life."

"Dad if I knew this was  just going to be a talk about mom I wouldn't have shown up," she said with a forced smile, watching Mike throw his hands up.

"Alright, let's change subject," he suggested, "how's la?"

"It's great," she nodded, "busy.. but there's always something fun going on so it's not too bad."

"Arizona misses you," Mike tilted his head and smiled, "by Arizona I mean me, you ever gonna come back?"

"Well.. it would be nice to visit but then I have to find time to do that and I don't know where I'd stay so.."

"Stay with me and your mom," he shrugged, "bring Evie along?"

"Evie's always busy with this work lifestyle she has."

"Bring that other guy who was in your apartment the other day," he looked at her as Kate immediately smiled, bringing the straw of her drink to her mouth, "what's his name?"

"Corbyn." Kate said with a smile, "my boyfriend."

"Boyfriend?" Mike raised his eyebrows, "he seems nice, does he treat you well?"

"Yes." She replied, "but we've only been official for about four days."

"Oh, I see." He gave her a nod, "well I'd love to meet him properly, you could bring him along. Is he who your new song is about?"

"No, oh my god no." Kate furrowed her eyebrows as she quickly shook her head, "Isaac, my ex."

Mike sat in silence for a few seconds as he glanced to the side, nodding while his smile faded and he sighed, "him."

"I don't.. we don't speak anymore." Kate replied.

"Good, he sounds like an asshole anyway." Mike said, "did he hurt-"

"Subject change," Kate smiled, "I don't want to talk about my ex.. did you listen to my song?"

"Uh, no.. no not yet kiddo." He shook his head as her smile immediately fell.

"It's.. I mean it's been out two days you know that why-"

"I want to listen to it when your mom isn't around i-"

"Let mom listen to it I don't care." Kate shrugged, "I want her to listen to my songs too, this is a big achievement for me."

"I know that."

"Dad i've wanted to have a music career all my life, you know this." She explained, "I can play so many instruments, what use is that in the medical field?"

"I'm not saying you need to try a different career Kate," Mike shook his head, "I think this whole music thing suits you."

"Really? Are you just saying that to make me feel better?"

"No," he told her, "kiddo, if you want this music career then go for it, I'll listen to the song as soon as we finish with our dinner."

"If I go for this career then mom-"

"I'll be here," her dad shrugged, "I'll be your number one fan, if this is what you want and what'll make you happy then let's do it."

"But mom." Kate mumbled.

"Mom doesn't need to have a say, if she doesn't want to be supportive then I will," he shrugged, "I think it's pretty cool anyway."

"Thanks Dad." She smiled.

"What does Corbyn do? Is he a-"

"He sings too." Kate nodded, "he's in a band with four other guys."

"He helped get you into it?"

"He did."

"Well, he seems very perfect for you." Mike said.

"Yeah," the girl slowly smiled as she looked down, "yeah he's quite the guy."

"Let him know I'd love meet him," he told her, "a dinner, maybe if you come stay in Arizona. I mean we leave to fly back in a few days so maybe you two could come spend the weekend with us?"

"Uh, yeah." Kate nodded, "yeah, that actually might work out perfect, his band are on a break right now so we have time."

"Okay," he gave her a smile, "let me know when you're free and I'll buy you both plane tickets to come visit, sound good kiddo?"

"Sounds great." Kate replied, "thank you."

And just as a final smile was exchanged between the two of them, the waitress had come over with both of their orders, allowing them to finish their dinner on a higher note than they started it.

(˚୨୧🔪·。🛒˚.⛓)

A/N

might double update this today hehe