Chapter 39

Austin's POV

After putting my baby girl back in her crib, I picked up my little boy. He was snoozing away through all the chaos. Just like his momma would. I held him for a little while longer before going back out to see if the nurse had anymore news. I saw her at the front desk and walked up to her. "How is she?"

She looked up at me. "She made it out. She accepted the transfusion and she is still unconscious right now. They stopped the bleeding and fixed her up. She woke up for a brief moment when we transferred her back to her room. It's a waiting game right now." I nodded and ran my hands through my hair.

"Do I have paperwork to sign?" I asked her.

"Yes but how about you go sit with your wife for a little bit. I'll take care of the youngster in the nursery. You've raised a fine family. I'm happy I was here to help deliver your precious babies." She smiled and hugged me.

"Thank you. For all you've done." I said. I started to Ava's room.

"By the way, none of this was anyone's fault. There was nothing you or anyone could have done to prevent it. Sometimes things year and that causes bleeding. Don't beat yourself up." I nodded and continued to her room.

Once I got in there, I saw her laying in the bed looking pinker than before. She looked so tired but I knew that was just from the loss of blood and delivering two babies instead of one. I kissed her forehead before sitting down in the chair and taking her hand in mine. I did my research and she could wake up at any point but it just depended on her. So I did the one thing that I knew would wake her up.

"The twins are beautiful. Kirby looks exactly like you. Down to the way she wrinkles her nose. I feel like Jagger looks like me and John-Luke. I got some skin-to-skin contact with Kirby and Jagger. Kirby was just like you in detecting my distress. Jagger was just like you and slept like a knot on a log through it all. John-Luke is here and he refuses to leave the twins. I couldn't tell him to go home. He wanted to be here for you and the babies. We raised an amazing young man." I kissed her hand and just sat there beside her.

Later that night, they moved the babies and John-Luke in there. I was left with the nurse to take care of them until their mom woke up. At the moment they were sleeping in their respective basinets and John-Luke was in the bed with his mom. We were in the suite room that had an actual queen sized bed in it with basinets. He had fallen asleep not long after laying down. I was reading over the paperwork and wearing my nerdy glasses. Av always said she thought I looked sexy in them.

I heard Jagger squirm in his basinet and looked in on him. He was wide awake and staring around. I smiled at him and put my finger in his little hand. They were so much smaller than J-Luke or Bentley.

"Dad." I heard John-Luke whisper.

"Yeah buddy?" I asked.

"Mom held my hand. I was being careful and stayed on my side but she grabbed my hand. She's holding it now." He said. I got up and walked over to the bed.

I grabbed her other hand. "Baby are you awake? Come on. Open your eyes for me." I could see her eyes moving around behind her eye lids before they rested and she fell back asleep.

"Did she do it?" J-Luke asked.

"No bud. She just got restless. You can keep holding her hand but it's going to take a little bit more time before she can fully wake up." He nodded and laid back down. I went back to the paperwork and the twins. They slept for five hours before waking up and getting hungry. I made their bottle and fed Kirby while the nurse was changing Jagger's diaper.

When morning came I realized I hadn't slept any. Around 8 our mothers came with coffee. "How is she?" Her mom asked while whispering because the kids were still asleep.