Chapter 40

Ava's POV

After getting settled in at home as usual but plus two, we spent a week together as family. Austin's dad and Jake focused on the company so he could have this time off. The twins are close to four weeks old. My stomach is still there and I can't do much to get rid of it because of the bleed and surgery. At the current moment we were all in the living room watching a basketball game. The twins were in their swings asleep. The security phone that Roman contacted us through started ringing.

"I'll get it." Austin said as he got up.

"I'll come with you." I got up behind him and walked a little more slowly to the phone. Ruby looked over the kids for a minute.

"Hey what's up?" Austin said as he brought up Romans face on the live screen.

"Hey boss. I've got a guy down here and his wife. They're elderly and are asking to talk to you and Ava. I've ran a check and they are clean. But there's something you should know. Their last name is the same as John-Luke's biological mom. I think these people are her parents." Roman said. He split the screen and showed us the couple in the drive way.

"Oh my." I was feeling a little light headed. Jana never told us she had any kind of relationship with her parents. How did they know about us?

"Um. Roman I would rather not let them in. John-Luke will start asking questions and we don't know them yet. I'll come down in ten minutes. Lead them to the garden on the right side of the fence." Austin said to him.

"Got it boss." The line ended and Austin looked at me. I don't know what I was feeling or thinking. I think I was just numb. He pulled me to his chest and kissed my forehead. He held me for a minute before we pulled away.

"I want to go with you." I told him. He started shaking his head no. "Don't you tell me no. This is my business to. I need to know who these people are before they come in here and start a relationship with him."

"Okay. I get that but you had two babies and a major bleed four weeks ago Ava. Four weeks ago. Stress is not a good thing to add. Just promise me that if we do this you will take it easy. Please." I could see the pleading glint in his eyes and I promised. He was only trying to protect me.

We got our shoes on and told the kids and Ruby we were going for a walk. Ruby gave an understanding nod. We stopped by Romans office before going and looked at their background checks. Both of them were clean. However I noticed that this woman wasn't Janas mom. Her mom died from breast cancer about ten years ago.

"Are you ready?" Austin asked. I think I was more anxious than him. I nodded my head. "Alright. Roman keep that camera and mic on until we come back. If anything looks off send them in." It sounded like we had a swat team but it was just the few security guys Austin has that live right next door. He has them for his business trips and things like that.

When we made it to the garden, I took a deep breath before walking in. They were sitting at the patio holding hands. It looked as if she was comforting him.

"Hello." He said as they both stood. "I'm-"

"We know who you are. You're Jim and Barbara McCormick. You're the father of Jana McCormick. The woman who had John-Luke." He said. They nodded and looked concerned.

"Can we sit down?" I said. They all nodded and we sat down. "I'm Avalyn. People call me Ava for short. I'm his wife."

"Nice to meet you dear." They said. I smiled and elbowed Austin.

"I'm Austin. I don't mean to be rude or so forward but when it comes to my family I will be. Why are you here? What are you looking to achieve?" He asked. I hit his leg under the table and my mouth dropped.