Chapter 31

Ava's POV

When we made it to the hospital I dropped Austin off at the door as I circled around to find a parking spot. Once I made it inside and to the floor his dad was on, I walked to the waiting room. Once I entered I saw all of my family on my side and my in-laws.

"Momma." I heard John-Luke say. He came over and wrapped his arms around my waist because he was so tall for his age. He rested his head on my stomach as I kissed his head and held him just as tight. I noticed he called me momma when we were at mom.

"Hey buddy." I walked him over to the chair and we sat down.

"Callie has Bentley at home. She didn't want to bring him up here-" Jake was saying.

"That's okay. I understand." I pulled John-Luke on my lap.

"Mom where's dad?" He asked as he looked at me with confusion in his eyes.

"He's visiting papaw right now." He looked even more confused at my statement. "Buddy, papaw is sick right now and he really needs you to pray for him. Okay?"

He nodded his head. We sat there talking for a while and then my husband and mother-in-law walked in. John-Luke stayed in my lap as Austin strolled over to us. He knelt down on one knee in front of us and gripped my knees.

"His vitals are good. He's breathing on his own but that could all change any minute." He looked away from me but looked back shortly after with his eyes red rimmed and a streak from where a tear leaked out. I wiped it away and John-Luke's arms circled around his daddy's neck.

"Don't cry dad." Austin gripped him for dear life and looked at me. His eyes were telling me what he couldn't. He was scared. So scared and all I wanted to do was take that fear away. But I couldn't no matter how hard I tried.

"Come on JL. Let's go play." I heard a little girl yell. I looked up to see Ella standing at the entrance to a kids portion of the waiting room. JL? That's cute. He released his dad and looked at us for permission. I nodded my head and he took off.

"I'm sorry baby." I said to Austin. He buried his face in my neck as I wrapped him in a hug. "Can you tell me what happened?" I asked him. He pulled away but kept his hands rested on my thighs and mine were on the sides of his neck.

"They said he was driving back home from the hardware store. He apparently hit this puddle of water that came from a leak in the pipes on both sides of the road. He didn't see it and he hydroplaned." He didn't need to finish because I got his point.

I gripped the sides of his face and kissed his cheek. "He is going to be fine. I just know it." I said. Austin nodded to me then sat in the seat next to mine. He never quit touching me and I knew he needed to know I was here. I laid my head on his shoulder and cuddled up to his arm that was draped across my legs.

I could see his mom sitting in the chair next to her sister bouncing her leg and chewing her lip. I remember being in her place when Austin had that accident at work. Austin's chances of waking up were way better so I can only imagine how she feels.

After some time I decided to take John-Luke home. I had planned to bring Austin some clothes to stay here but his mother sent him on his way. "You need to go home and be with your family. If he woke up and saw you sitting here he would come unglued on you." I smiled and Austin let out a small laugh.

As soon as we got home, I ran in the house to Bentley. After we said our goodbyes to Callie, we all got ready for bed. We left our bags in the car because I could deal with them tomorrow. Right now we were in our bed. John-Luke was in between me and Austin and Bentley was on Austin's chest. I kissed all my boys goodnight and told them how much I loved them. This was the best way to fall asleep.