Nightmares pt.2

Miss Peregrines POV:

The next day as the children wetr eating breakfast, I thought more about last night.

What was it that woke him like that? Is he alright? How come he didn't explain what was going on? Maybe he was just tired...

These thoughts swirled in my mind, until Jacob came down the stairs.
He looked a bit rough. His hair was messy and you can clearly tell he didn't sleep at all. Even his eyes were a little puffy.

My concern just escalated more and when he looked at me I could tell it was visible.

Jacob went and sat at the table but didn't bother with getting anything to eat. Maybe he wasn't hungry.

After the children finished, Emma stayed behind to do the dishes. From my spot in the living room I could overhear their conversation.

"Are you alright?" She asks Jacob.

"Yeah, yeah I'm just a little tired." He replys.

"You sure your not hungry?" She insists.

"I'm sure."

"Okay."

A few minutes of silence passes till I hear the sink water turn off and Emma walking out of the room, but not before quickly patting Jacob on the back on her way out.

I hear Jacob about to get up, but quickly say something.

"Jacob," I say, causing him to jump a bit. "Sorry I spooked you but may you please come over here and sit down?"

He nods and comes into the living room and takes a seat across from me.

"So, about last night?" I start.

He lets out a light sigh and looks away before saying something.

"Like I said, it was nothing. Just a nightmare." He replys. "No big deal."

"I'm not trying to make it seem like I'm forcing you to answer anything I ask, I just want to make sure your alright." I explain, hoping he understands I'm not trying to make him feel pressured.

"I know." He responds.

A few minutes of silence pass.

"It was about my grandfather." He says.

I look up at him and he continues.

"He thought I was a wight."

I look up at him, about to say something but he continues.

"He was then killed by a hollowgast a second later." He looks up and must sense that I'm worried because he then says:

"Don't be worried, it's normally like this."

"Jacob," I say gently, "I'm sorry you have to deal with that."

"Really it's no big-"

"I know, but I'm sorry you have to deal with this. With having this happen. I'm really sorry for what happened to your grandfather but I feel like these dreams are coming from you thinking it was your fault." I explain.

He was about to say something but reconsiders and lets this sink in.

He seems a bit embarrassed...

"You did well explaining this to me thought Mr. Portman," I say trying to lighten the mood. "I'm glad you told me."

I gave him a small smile and he returned it.

"Well Mr. Portman, how about you go join the others. Just don't run off doing birds know what with people."

This gave him a laugh.

"I'll try." He replys.

I walk out of the room, giving him a small squeeze on the shoulder on the way out.