Self Defense (Pt. 1)

Petir had a record for turning harmless objects into dangerous weapons.

This day was almost no different.

A metal fork zoomed through the air, nearly grazing Air who was reading a book until finally embedding itself into the wall, Api freezing at how the utensil was so close to hitting his temple. He remained still, unmoving and not breathing.

Tanah reached over to dislodge it from the wall, twirling it and shooting the culprit a reprimanding stare.

"Petir, no attacking with objects in the house," he said as he strolled into the kitchen. Though he knew it was a lost cause to keep on reprimanding Petir, he still scolded him anyway.

Petir only grumbled, glaring hard at Api who squeaked in fear and scampered away.

Air finished a chapter in his book, promptly marked it with a piece of paper lying around, and turned to the lightning elemental.

"What's your deal now with Api?"

Petir snorted as he resumed eating with only his spoon.

Air didn't usually show it but he harbored a sense of protectiveness over his twin, like how Cahaya was with Daun. A step out of line and they'd immediately jump to action to avenge their brother who was wronged.

"He's more annoying than usual, is what," Petir groused as he shoved mashed potatoes in his mouth. "Imagine having to deal with someone like that the rest of your life. How do you do it?"

Api was almost always the victim of Petir's objects, for reasons unknown. Daun once said Api was really asking for it. Angin suggested Api wanted to test Petir's patience. Cahaya deduced that Api was actually just that dense. Tanah argued Api didn't know what he was getting himself into most of the time.

All of them had different opinions on why but honestly Petir could care less. If Api was willingly offering himself to be the bait then who was Petir to refuse his brother? Even if said brother was an idiot, sometimes more so than Angin, and that was something.

Air shrugged carelessly.

"I guess I just have high tolerance for the troublemaker. You're a short fuse too so you blow easily."

"Say what now?" Petir exploded, only confirming Air's statement.

The water elemental gestured with his hand, knowing expression on his face.

"Called it." He stood and dodged Petir's spoon, the utensil hitting the wall and clattering to the floor. "And throw that somewhere else, please." With that, Air left the dining room and climbed the stairs.

Petir only scowled and stared at his empty plate. Lucky he was already finished eating.

Angin scampered by and collected his plate, smiling cheerily at his brother. He also retrieved the fallen spoon before delivering the objects to Daun who was still washing dishes.

Tanah walked by and seemed to be searching for something, opening drawers and looking inside. He knelt on the floor and peeked under appliances, Petir raising a questioning brow at the earth elemental's actions.

"What're you looking for, Tanah?" he asked, standing as well in preparation of helping.

"The list of groceries," he said, lifting a book. "Hm. I knew I left it here. Why is it suddenly gone?"

Petir recalled Air reading a book and marking his page with a random piece of paper lying around.

"He must have used it as a bookmark. He went upstairs."