Wedding Date Search

"Eh? Auntie is getting married?" Ying asked her mother after scrolling through social media and coming across a post depicting her mother's cousin wearing an engagement ring and standing beside someone who seemed to be her fiancé, huge smiles on their lips and apparent joy in their eyes.

The romantic in Ying preened and someday hoped of finding love like that but the rational part of her brain told her to focus on her mother's words

"Oh yes hon," affirmed Auntie Yang. "I'm so glad you reminded me. Their wedding is going to be a week from now."

Ying nearly jumped out her skin from shock.

"Shénme?" she exclaimed, eyes bugging out as she swiveled to face her mother. "Ahh, it's so last-minute. Why are you telling me this now when I could've prepared?"

"Oh stop complaining and help me with the dishes," her mom said. "We'll talk about what we're going to wear, what we're going to bring, and who you're going to bring as a date—"

"Whoa where did that come from?" Ying said, side-jumping the couch to stand beside her mother, intent on finding out more details about the latest one she said. "What date?"

Auntie Yang clicked her tongue and handed her daughter a plate to wipe. Ying did so, eyes staring hardly at her mother.

"Mama, what's happening?" she asked. "Why aren't you telling me anything?"

Auntie Yang grinned, a knowing twinkle in her eye as she led her daughter to the living room.

"Your Auntie Izz wants for her wedding that all her guests come in pairs," she started. "She believes it is good luck and might bring upon her and her husband prosperity and wealth. You wouldn't want to disappoint my cousin now, would you?"

Ying answered quickly, "Of course not! Hearing that only makes me more concerned of finding a partner since I want Auntie Izz and her husband to have much luck and blessings." She chewed her bottom lip nervously, looking at the floor. "Where am I going to find a guy at this rate if the wedding's in a week?"

"You could ask one of your male friends," Auntie Yang suggested airily.

"No, Boboiboy's dating Yaya and as much as I know they both won't mind, I'm not going for that," Ying answered.

Auntie Yang sighed and held her daughter's shoulder, Ying's gaze turning to her.

"Then what about your other friend Fang?"

Ying blinked once, twice before frowning, her face crumpling up.

"No thanks Mama he's a literal jerk," she said, tone hard. "He always finds one thing or another to annoy me and I hate that he riles me up even when he's doing something so ridiculous. I don't care if he's an alien; I'll pummel him to the ground if he does something weird."

Auntie Yang sat there with a dumbstruck expression before she grinned slyly and said in a light tone, "My, the weather is beautiful right now. Could you run by the store and pick up some potatoes and cabbage?"

"But what about my date?" Ying said, anxious.

"We will discuss more once you get me my cabbage and potatoes."

Ying huffed and rolled her eyes, walking to the front door and pulling on her shoes.

"I'll be back!" she called as she opened the door.

"Oh yes yes sweetie safe trip!"

Ying opened the door and shrieked in alarm that another person was on the other side. She saw a shock of messy raven hair and familiar crimson eyes before she shut the door abruptly and rounded on her mother.