Thorn

Thorn tapped his pen against his lips twice before writing down the new formula his prof was scribbling down on the board. Why did he write so fast his handwriting was almost unreadable?

His gaze flitted from his notebook to the board to ensure that he had written down everything. He had a tendency to miss out some things that he often had to ask Solar to check if he had written it correctly.

Satisfied, he shifted in his seat and checked his watch: only fifteen more minutes before he's free!

"Sir?" asked a student, everyone turning toward him.

His prof finished writing down a problem on the board before turning to the whole class, gaze finding the student who asked for his attention.

"Yes what is it?"

The boy put his hand down and stared hardly at the prof.

"This is completely unrelated to statistics but what do you think about communism?"

Thorn did a double-take in his seat. That was totally irrelevant to their lesson for today. What did his classmate think he was doing? He's gonna get kicked out of the class if he didn't take that question back! Their stats prof wasn't exactly the kindest; he was part of the teachers that were strict and the type to not accept late papers.

Oh, his classmate was so brave, so bold, so... stupid.

But contrary to his expectations, the prof adjusted the specs on his nose and set down his book to cross his arms over his chest, a thoughtful expression on his face.

"That's a tall order," he said before continuing, "I'd say like all issues, it has two sides."

"Yes but sir," this time it was a female student, "what side are you most leaning towards? Would you say it was beneficial or harmful to the community?"

Everyone had their eyes on him. Even Thorn was a little curious to know what their professor thought about such things. Everything that came out of his mouth was always related to math.

"Oh oh and sir?" It was another male student. "If in a twisted turn of events communism did eventually happen, where do you think that leaves politicians and everyone else?"

Well, this was an interesting stats lesson.

And so their stats class spent the last thirteen minutes having a discussion on communism, its implications, and everything in between.

The bell rang when a classmate was sharing their thoughts but then the prof clapped his hands for attention and said, "All right class thank you that was a change in everyday routine and I'm hoping for more surprise questions with time. Class dismissed, everyone pile out."

Thorn packed his things and swung his bag over his shoulder, running out the classroom and planning on telling his brothers and friends about this.

==

Thorn sniffed and tried not to draw attention to himself, taking a quick glance around the dining table and ensuring that his siblings was engrossed in their own food and discussions.

He quickly and discreetly wiped his running nose with his long sleeve, turning back to his food when Quake's gaze fell minutely on him.

His head was throbbing and his whole body was heavy. His throat itched constantly and his nose was runny. If his nose wasn't running then it was clogged, which made it difficult to breathe. Talk about a good Friday.

"You okay?" asked a voice.

It was Ice, sitting beside him. Thorn took note at how his voice was low and soft, as if not wanting to alert the others.

Thorn considered blatantly lying but one prolonged stare at his brother's cyan eyes made him truthfully reply, "I've got a bad cold."

"You should stay here."

"No I don't wanna miss class," Thorn said, grip on his utensils tightening momentarily. "It's nothing serious. Just five boxes of tissue and a jug of water will be enough to last me through the day."

Ice narrowed his eyes at him, clearly disbelieving.

"It's Friday. And I'm sure you can ask for notes from your classmates."

Thorn shook his head, hair whipping around at the movement.

"I gotta do this. You know how it is in college: if you miss one day it's like you've missed an entire semester!" He saw how Ice's face took on a pained expression, as if he knew exactly what it was like. Thorn briefly remembered a time where his brother was stuck in bed for three days and spent the whole week catching up, going to sleep by 4am and rising for a 7am class.

"You sure, though?"

Thorn nodded. "Thanks for the concern but I'll be okay."

He sniffed and grinned toothily at his older sibling, who hummed before thankfully dropping the topic.

When Thorn was about to grab his water bottle he paused as he realized it wasn't the usual one he took with him. It was larger and blue in color. He stared at it quizzically before a voice cut his thoughts saying, "You said water and tissue will be enough to last you, right?"

He whirled around to see a wry smile on Quake's face. How did he—Thorn made sure to keep his voice low and Ice wasn't the type to go tattling to anyone. Unless...

A sheepish look crossed Quake's face as he laughed nervously.

"Ice told me what was going on and asked me to do something about it," he said. "He also contributed most of the tissue rolls stacked in his room so I guess you're good to go."

Waah they were too good for him. Thorn's heart burst with affection as he made to tackle his brother but stopped, remembering he had a cold. He giggled nervously and blew a flying kiss instead, Quake mimicking grabbing it and keeping it in his pocket.

They laughed and Thorn headed out the door.

"Love you guys!"

"Hey, we all look out for each other."

Thorn did a salute before grabbing the water bottle and the tissues, bolting out the door and ready to face a new day ahead.