You can be king again

tw: death, grief, loss

I have to be honest: this chapter sat in my drafts for a long time,, like in the middle of 2021 I think. It's April 2022. Before, I watched Hotarubi no Mori e and that absolutely had me in tears. So I came up with this angst piece after watching a YT video which used the audio of 'You can be king again' matched with some scenes from the anime film. Get ready to hurt, ig.

Thunderstorm – boy

Cyclone – girl

Quake – girl

Ice – boy

Blaze – girl

Thorn – boy

Solar – boy

==

The days crawled slower than usual. The nights were quieter and gloomier. Mealtimes became uncomfortable and stiff instead of the usual cheery laughter and bright atmosphere.

The siblings grew distant and kept to minimal communication. There were no more heart-to-heart conversations, no late-night musings, and definitely no mentioning of a certain someone's name lest one of them lashed out or broke into inconsolable tears.

Thunderstorm however knew most, if not all, of them were barely holding on to sanity. If they didn't try to initiate much needed conversation and openly talk about what happened, all of them would become destructive and insensitive to each other and themselves. He knew for a fact his sister Blaze and his brother Solar might become dangerous if they didn't properly address their emotions.

If only Quake...

He stopped himself and nearly lost a breath trying to hold in tears. Damn... even thinking about her hurt. The world spun under him and everything and nothing suddenly felt too much for him. He couldn't breathe, he couldn't breathe, he couldn't breathe...

"'Scuse me."

Someone bumped into him from behind, Thunderstorm snapping out of the mental spiral to see Ice.

Ice gave him a look too careless and cold before walking away, Thunderstorm staring at his retreating figure before his shoulders slumped in combined exhaustion and despair.

They had to talk about this.

But Thunderstorm knew he might harshly retort at anyone and drive them away when all of them were still trying to wrap their heads around the fact one of them would forever be lost and moving forward, they'd be six instead of seven.

He bit the back of his hand, eyes burning and walking forward. At the same time, he tried so so hard not to look in the direction of the kitchen, knowing he wouldn't be met with humming and a warm disposition.

God he missed her.

==

It was late at night when he realized the back door which led to the gardens was wide open. Thunderstorm muttered under his breath as he tried to ignore how his younger sister Cyclone was sniffling in the upper bunk, knowing she didn't want anyone to see her in that state.

He wanted to comfort her but alas he didn't know how. The least he could do was pretend he didn't hear it so he opened the bedroom door and walked to inspect who else was awake.

When he reached the back door, a cool breeze greeted him. Thunderstorm was about to step outside on the grass when he realized he was barefoot. He muttered a curse and turned around to go get slippers when he heard a barely discernible cry. He whipped around and squinted in the dark, trying to see who or what made the sound.