anger (Pt. 3)

Air's hands nervously wrung around the hem of his sweatshirt, the silence in the house deafening and uncomfortable as he avoided looking at his twin across him, who had a determined expression on his face.

Air cursed quietly at how his brothers and grandfather made believable excuses to leave him and Api alone in the house. Why didn't he notice anything weird sooner? Granted, it had been a while since Air saw his twin and he was secretly glad Api was doing okay but still... how do you start a conversation with someone you fought without it turning into an all-out brawl? Api was a physical person fueled by energy while Air relied more on muscle memory and graceful moves.

Dully, he still felt the uncomfortable and aching throb at his cheek—the spot where Api punched him the night they had a tussle. Similarly, he could also see a faint hand print on Api's left cheek; no doubt his palm when it smacked his face.

In his peripheral vision, Air saw Api swallow and scoot forward in his chair.

"Uhh..." he seemed to close in on himself but then curled his hand into a fist and blurted, "I'm sorry!"

Well... Air didn't expect that. He froze in his seat, eyes wide as Api bowed from the waist down.

He scratched his cheek and was compelled to do the same, bowing deeply and saying, "I'm sorry too."

"No listen to me you—" Air's eyes widened not because of Api's usual outburst but because he cut himself off, clenching his hands into fists and visibly shutting his mouth to avoid saying anything more. What a peculiar reaction. What was stopping Api from yelling and wanting to be heard?

"Yes?" prompted Air with a raised brow.

Api took deep breaths in and said in a normal volume, "It's my fault. I shouldn't have assumed that time you'd be able to get the idea I wanted to do a combo."

Well that was new. Suddenly, Air was nervous at what he would do or say. Even if Air could read most of Api's habits and behaviors by now, Api was volatile with his moods changing constantly so Air found it difficult to understand him in moments like this.

He stayed quiet, hands on his lap.

Api scratched his cheek and pouted.

"Looking at it in a different view, I think I also had a few faults. I didn't tell you I wanted to do a combo and my first and natural instinct was to round on you when we got home."

Air sat there, patiently listening. Did something change? Yes, definitely. He couldn't figure out what was the change making this into a civil conversation. Still, it was nice to listen instead of raising his voice to be able to drive a point into his thick-headed brother.

He stayed silent, sensing Api had more to say.

"I ran my mouth like the idiot I was and barely listened to you. For that, I'm also sorry."

Air ducked his head so Api wouldn't see his smile. How thoughtful of him to acknowledge he cut off Air during their argument.

"Thank you for pointing it out," he said in a soft voice, smile growing. "It makes me feel valued and seen."

Api scratched his nape and gave a forced smile which gradually became more natural.

"You've got something more to say?" Air asked, genuinely curious.

"Well, I dragged into the mix past mistakes and stuff and Tok said..." Api bit his lip, "it wasn't cool and we should always focus on the present argument. It wasn't right I pointed out past things. Also, I play the victim a lot and see more mistakes in others than myself so that's something."

Air smiled and nodded. "I understand. Since you're trying so hard not to lose your temper, I want to do the same so you'd know I acknowledge what you said and the faults I find within myself. Honestly, this is a pleasant change from the usual." He smiled bigger. "I'm proud of you Api for trying to fix things between us. I want to forgive you and move on so I will. Plus, it's draining on my part if I hold grudges."

They shared a lighthearted chuckle.

"Thanks, Air. It's also really cool of you to notice things and the effort I've been doing."

"Hey, that's how I roll." Api huffed out a laugh. Air fidgeted in his seat and cleared his throat. "I uh... notice this is a new way for you to express your anger and it's obvious you're struggling."

"HEY!"

"I spoke too soon." He hung his head. "But kidding aside, I see your efforts and I'm honored I'm the first person you've tried this new technique on. I'm also grateful you're trying so hard to right things between us."

Api gave a toothy grin which made Air smile fondly. His gaze flitted to the hand print and guilt crawled at his chest. He weakly pointed at it. "I'm sorry about your cheek. I slapped you then and it looks like it hadn't healed."

"Oh." Absently, Api ran a finger on the spot. He grinned. "Nah it's no problem. Sorry about punching you. Your wound's worse than mine, let's be honest."

Air's lips quirked in an amused smile. While it did hurt his cheek from pulling his lips upward, he didn't mind much anymore.

"I guess so."

Api then jumped from his seat and barreled toward him, Air only releasing a surprised squeak before he found the life hugged out of him by the fiery one.

"Can't... breathe..." he rasped as he rapidly tapped at Api's shoulder.

Api let go and laughed. "Haha sorry 'bout that, Air." Then the fun seeped out as he turned timid and stood there nervously. "So uh... does this mean we're okay now?"

Air nodded confidently. "Yes."

"Woo-hoo!"

Both of them turned toward the sound then looked at each other.

"Daun?" Api asked as Air also stood, pushing his brother forward to remain safe from unknown forces. But he also had a feeling it was their leaf elemental brother.

"Shit they heard you."

"Welp, time to skedaddle!"

"'Skedaddle'? Who in Allah's name uses that word?"

"I'm going, bye."

Then there were running footsteps. Air rounded his brother to throw open the front door, seeing just in time their five other brothers rushing away from the house. He rolled his eyes. Typical.

Api grunted and shut the door. "Idiots."

"But we love them anyway so what can we do?"

"True." Api eyes widened and said excitedly, "Hey, wanna play video games?"

"Let's."

By this point, Air could care less on the game. He was just glad he and Api had patched up.