Solar, You Idiot (Pt. 2)

The first thing he noticed was sunlight. After more seconds passed he was able to regain his sense of touch and register the softness and warmth of the bed he was laying on. Then he heard voices talking in hushed whispers, a short laugh, and a smack.

A groan flitted out of his mouth, the voices stopping.

Shuffling sounded from around the room and soon he was met with a blur of colors, corresponding to the element of each brother.

Solar did notice that all of his brothers weren't in their usual outfits. Rather, they were in casual clothes that had the colors of their elements. Quake was in a brown sweatshirt, Thunderstorm donning a red hoodie. Cyclone's shade of blue was darker than Ice, and they were both wearing short-sleeved shirts. Thorn was in a green sweater designed with a few leaves. Last but not least was Blaze who was dressed in a sleeveless red tee, his shade lighter than the eldest and his arms behind his head.

Solar now realized he was in the hospital wing of TAPOPS, an IV attached to his wrist. He was in a hospital gown and his cap and visors had been placed on the bedside table, a glass of water accompanying them.

He blinked and swallowed, feeling his throat dry. Then he sat up slowly, assisted by Quake.

"You moron, why didn't you say anything?" Thunderstorm was the first to address him, clicking his tongue in annoyance. They briefly met eyes before he averted his gaze, pursing his lips. "Suddenly falling forward like that when we were almost outta there."

Solar frowned and readied himself for a witty reply when Quake next spoke.

"You gave us quite a fright back there," he said.

A twinge of guilt made itself known in Solar's stomach and he said, "Sorry for making you all worry. That was far from my intention."

Though Quake smiled and continued, "We know it wasn't your fault. You did the best you could and for that we're forever grateful."

Thorn nodded and went forward to gently hold Solar's hand (now gloveless).

"You shouldn't've pushed me away when I tried to help you."

Solar sighed sadly, his shoulders slumping. He met eyes with his twin again and made sure to convey all his feelings in that gaze.

"Sorry, flower. Didn't want to burden you."

"Tch where did that sweet talk come from?" said Blaze, frowning. In Solar's peripheral vision, he saw Quake shooting Blaze a disapproving look but the fire elemental didn't see that and went on saying, "Not one of us'll be a burden since we're doing everything we can to fight. So don't go saying those things again. Makes me wanna punch something."

What an odd sentiment to come from Blaze. He wasn't good with words; he was more of action. But it did seem a great effort for him to say that with almost a straight face so Solar will take what he can get and shot a grateful smile at his brother, who blushed and looked away with a huff.

"So what happened after I blacked out?" Solar asked, scooting backward to rest on the headboard.

"Well, all of us saw you fall forward with no warning," Cyclone shared. "Gopal was thankfully fast enough to catch your head before it hit the floor and you were out cold, pale and barely breathing."

Solar winced; it must have been a sight for them all to see him in such a weak state. He had an inkling Quake was the most affected, as he always made an effort to make sure all of them were safe.

"And then?" he prompted.

Thunderstorm scratched his nape and looked at the ceiling.

"I carried you while the girls called TAPOPS and Quake and the rest focused on finding the exit."

"Ying and Yaya were able to say that you were unconscious so Commander was able to dispatch a ship along with a stretcher and some medical supplies," Thorn supplied.

"Then while the others maneuvered the ship, some of us stayed behind to tend to your injuries, patch you up and make sure nothing internal was damaged severely," Ice said.

"So when we arrived at the station, all that was left was to transfer you to the hospital wing and a proper bed so you'd get some rest," Blaze went on.

"And all that we had to do was clean up ourselves and nap for a while," Quake finished. "We thought you were in a coma or something since you barely moved and just slept for two whole days."

Solar could already picture the whole thing happening in his head, all of them with worry and concern in their faces and doing their best to stay calm and get out of that ship. Most likely, when a ship came to pick them up, there was also another that would send the criminals to the proper authorities to serve their sentences. He was equal parts grateful and sorry they all had to go through that because of him. At the same time, it showed that everyone really cared about each other to a degree.

Cyclone smiled wide and said sincerely, "I'm glad you're okay, Solar. Sooner or later you'll be discharged and we can all go back to normal!"

Though Solar could see the purple bruises beneath his eyes—a result of sleepless nights. He wanted to comment on it but had a feeling Cyclone wouldn't want to be put in the center of the spotlight so he settled for giving a cocky smile and flipping his hair.

"Right you are."

Though he did remind himself to check up on that particular brother of his.

Ice glanced at the time and stated, "You've been out for a couple days so I hope you'll understand if we're a little stricter with you in the following days."

Solar couldn't help but laugh.

"Yeah I had a feeling it would come to that so I won't complain."

There was a short silence among the seven until the eldest broke it.

"I think this is enough for the day, Quake," Thunderstorm said, turning to the leader and shoving his hands inside the pockets of his hoodie. "Six of us crowding around him doesn't sound like a good idea."

"Yeah you're right," conceded Quake. "Then who's willing to watch over him?"

"Oh I do!" Thorn said, quickly settling himself on the stool beside the bed, blinking large brown orbs at Quake and Thunderstorm, who took a moment to themselves to recover from Thorn's endearing nature before nodding.

"Ahh me too!" Cyclone exclaimed, sitting down on the foot of Solar's bed.

Quake smiled and ruffled his hair before giving one last smile to Solar and walking away. Thunderstorm stayed behind a little while to stick his tongue out at all three of them before catching up to the first set of twins and dragging them by the arms, the both of them protesting.

Solar, Cyclone, and Thorn laughed as the other four retreated out the room.

"Solar, you idiot," Cyclone then bluntly stated, catching Solar off-guard for a moment. "You blasted too much and fainted. There should be a penalty."

Thorn on the other side nodded fervently.

"Cy, what d'you think should his punishment be?"

"Now where did that come from?" Solar asked, looking between his brothers. "Is there an underlying reason why you two volunteered?"

They shared mischievous looks and that was enough answer for Solar as he let out a long-suffering groan and fell back against the covers.

The other two just laughed jovially and they started to talk animatedly, Solar listening to their cheerful voices and how they droned on and on until he suddenly felt tired and drifted off to sleep, well-aware that he was safe, even under the watch of two of the troublemakers.