A Little Better

WARNING: it might contain trigger for anxiety soo read at your own risk. Also, do tell me if I wrote anxiety wrong since I honestly haven't experienced it. If I wrote it wrong I may rewrite or delete this chap.

This one's for you, A_Female_Red_Ranger

==

Ice stared at the coffee that swirled around in the small plastic cup, eyes almost unblinking and lips thinly pursed as he tried to focus his attention elsewhere, not wanting to remember the embarrassment and shame that filled his whole being just hours before.

It was nearing 2am and the night was silent. Usually Air loved the silence but right now it felt suffocating and heady. He also couldn't place why his stomach seemed to be coiling in on itself, causing him to bend over forward to try and ease the pain to no avail.

His heart jumped unpleasantly as he remembered the feeling of clammy palms, pounding head, and constricting chest. He shuddered; he didn't want to relive any of those moments ever again. Why did it happen in the first place, anyway? What was wrong with him?

He sighed heavily and pushed the cup away, setting it to his right so he could conjure up a water ball and play with it for a while, watching with apt fascination as the liquid swirled and bent to his command. This was soothing. Not like the situation earlier which made him totally lose control. Tch. What a bother: to not be able to control events and have things go not according to plan.

A hand landed on his left shoulder and Air acted on autopilot as he jerked his left hand back, the ball of water turning into a wave as it splashed on someone. When he turned, he choked out a surprised gasp at seeing the eldest with his left side drenched in water.

"I—I'm sorry I didn't mean—"

"Are you okay?"

That question made Air snap his jaw shut, body freezing up again and the breath catching in his throat. He blinked, unable to fully process just what was Petir asking.

True it was a simple question, one that required a simpler reply but Air's mind was spinning and he couldn't think straight.

Okay in what way? Most people would automatically answer 'I'm fine' but Air didn't feel that way at all. He was still a little shaken from the incident just a few hours prior and he briefly remembered that Petir was the only brother who saw it and didn't say a word to anyone else, not even Tanah.

He blinked again to try and regain the sense of time, focusing on Petir's face which held no malice or annoyance or... anything really. The blankness of his gaze unnerved Air a little.

"Wh—What?" he gasped, mind drawing a blank.

Petir merely sighed, taking off his night shirt and placing it on the table to dry. Air was a little surprised he had a tank top underneath it. Did he always sleep like that or was it just tonight? He didn't know.

"You've been acting off lately," Petir said slowly, sitting on the stool beside the water elemental. "I know it's none of my business to meddle in and poke my nose but the others are starting to get worried too. They don't say it directly but I see Api and Angin exchanging glances or Daun talking quietly to Cahaya. Tanah's also been giving you quizzical glances but he didn't want to pry unless absolutely necessary."

They did that? How come Air never noticed? He prided himself on being observant but he had never seen his brothers exchanging worried looks or spotting them conversing quietly. Had he been that distracted? What was happening?

Air raised his legs to rest them on the stool and hug his knees to his chest, placing his chin on top and avoiding Petir's inquisitive stare.

He had an idea on what was happening but he wasn't sure if he could... outright tell him. What would Petir think? No, what would the others think if they find out? Air might need to pack his bags discreetly and move away to Canada or something. Maybe even live under a false name so if anyone were to look for him, they would have little to no chance to do so.