14 - the diner

Monday came quickly. Over Sunday, I slept in and never left my bed. Henry tried to get me to clean my room but my legs hurt and I felt lazy.

At the diner, I sat in William's office, reading a magazine. William was doing his work and Henry was nowhere to be seen. He was keeping an eye on the robotic creatures on stage. He said something about safety comes first.

There were a few people at the diner, 2 staff members, a few families or random children that crawled from outside with saved up pocket money wasted on cheap food and shitty entertainment. Shove colours and loud cheerful music in front of a child apparently is enough to entertain them.

"How's Clare?" I asked, not looking away from the page I was on. My finger messed with the bottom of the page, preparing to change to the next page. It was great entertainment looking at the models posing in such gorgeous outfits.

"Don't want you over at the house no more." He never looked up from his work. Writing one thing, ticking another. Poorly managing the amount of work on his desk.

"Why? What did I do wrong?" I must have said something to upset her because I did nothing but encourage her lover to sleep with me. She wouldn't know about that.

"You told her she was ugly."

"I didn't. I told her she needed to fix her hair because it was lacking. Doll, I was only helping her look her best. She made me insecure but I still helped her with her hair."

"It wasn't just her hair."

"No, it was some of her make-up products, a few of them didn't match her and so I tried them on. They were even worse on me. They weren't for her, she is snow white type of skin and wearing that shadow of red. It wasn't right for her. No. Sweetheart, it has to match otherwise she'll look like an idiot."

"You still hurt her." He sighed.

"I was trying to help her, she is gorgeous, she does her makeup flawlessly, I didn't like the make that didn't match her and wasn't even good anyways. So why keep them."

"She likes the clutter on her dresser. She said it made her side of the room more lively."

"Of course. But bad make up is bad make up and shouldn't be seen." I sighed, knowing what I was talking about. William didn't. He wouldn't understand, he would never understand.

"Out of curiosity, Would Henry be classed as my adopted dad?" I asked him, I really needed to know the answer. What if someone asked me about my relationship with Henry? I can't really be like he raised me, or he's my carer. That sounded weird.

"Yes, he would be your adoptive father."

"So would it be weird to call him dad?"

"Talk to Henry about this but it wouldn't be an issue since you're a daughter to him. That makes me sick to my stomach."

"Why?" I raised a brow. How could that be weird to him? Henry was his best friend and I was Henry's adoptive daughter almost. Not a legal daughter but you know.

"I had sex with my best's friend unofficial daughter. Never again."

"Aw, come on, you enjoyed it."

"Sadly, I did but never again. I am trying to have a happy relationship with my girlfriend."

"Fine, it meant nothing. Saturday night meant nothing."

"Fine, never saw it as anything more than you being needy and desperate."

"Needy and desperate? I'm not needy and desperate."

"You are. No man likes that."

"You do," I smirked. "I didn't think we would take so long. Do you do that with Clare?"