15 - skating

I got home around 7 ish, Henry was still at work. I had to walk home, but that was fine, I knew my way there and back for some reason. My legs ached in pain from the walk and not because of my shoes but from the long walk that felt like a marathon.

I got the phone from the wall and took it upstairs with me. Setting it up in my room, I knew what I was doing. I thought about whether I should call or not.

I called the man I met today, waiting for him to answer. He did, with a tired, "hello, Richard speaking?"

"Hey, Richard, it's (Y/n), from the diner. I was just checking if you gave me a real number." I nervously said, knowing people did that and I really didn't want to pass up on such an opportunity.

"Of course I did, what friendship would It be if I started it off with lies?"

"A bad one." I rested on my bed, lying down to just talk to him.

"I don't know why you agreed to take my number. I really just needed friends and you were easy to humour. Thank you."

"I bet you have a lot of friends." I wanted to encourage him to be that charismatic guy I met at the diner. That man that told me attractive without fully knowing me. That was bold of him to say.

"Not really. Once you're a parent, friends are nonexistent."

"I don't know if that is true." I didn't believe him, the man had confidence, sweet and slightly humouring. Who wouldn't be his friend? Henry has friends, granted he wasn't my actual dad. So I didn't know if he counted but he had William.

"Prove me wrong?"

"I'm your friend." I grinned, knowing I just proved him wrong. "So if I wasn't your friend, what would we be?"

"I guess, if we get to know each other better, closer than friends. You know how beautiful your voice is." He chuckled.

"Such a flirt, you know, continue and I might get attached." I was honest with him. I hated that I got attached to people too quickly if they give me what I want or show me a lot of attention.

"That isn't a bad thing, When I met my wife I was head over heels for her."

"You said you weren't married." I felt awkward. I felt bad, guilty almost. This was a bad idea, I knew it but I didn't listen to myself.

"I'm not, I'm widowed, I guess that was also a bad thing. My wife died from cancer 3 years ago. I was just trying to give an example that getting attached to people easily isn't always a bad thing." He explained. "I'm sorry for confusing you. I don't do much talking with pretty ladies all that often. They talk to me but I'm often running around trying not to have my 6 year old princess putting random stuff in the shopping trolley."

"It's fine. Wow, you've been single for 3 years with a child."

"Are you surprised?" He chuckled. "Enough about me. How are things with you?"

"Tough. I don't know what I want to do with my life." I sighed, disappointed he wouldn't talk more of how he dealt with being alone for so long with a child.

"You can do a lot of things, go out, experience life. Make mistakes, learn. You are young, do something before life's fucks you over."

"Now about we go out somewhere this weekend?" I grinned.

"I'm busy working, and plus, I promise my princess a daddy-daughter game night."

"What are those all about?" I asked.

"When I get home, I make a blanket fort in the living room and we play board games. She ends up beating me at Monopoly."

"That must be fun. Well, Good luck with that."