36 - Final up hill battle

I stood at the door of William's place a week later, after a barbecue with chocolate and stuff that Clare liked. Over the time I spent with her, I learned what she liked and was simple enough to apologise for things she liked. It seemed to work when William apologised for the dumb things he did and said. Beth got me all in a huff with the constant checking in.

William opened the door, looking tired and worn out, his hair slightly messed up. He yawned, looking at me with a distasteful look, as if he knew what Beth knew.

"I'm here to see Clare. Is she in or okay enough to see me?" I asked, seeming genuinely confused about why William looked like shit. Even if he goes through shit, he rarely looks like shit.

"She might not want to see you." He said it bluntly, keeping the entrance blocked with the door and his body.

"I don't honestly care. If she's upset, then that's fine, but she's getting free things, so she has little to complain about."

"That's not how it works. You can't weaponise her being pregnant to get her to eat. Weaponise her personal life."

"You weaponise my issues, so I don't see the problems." I crossed my arms.

William sighed, looking away with contempt. "No, I don't think you know what weaponise means or how to weaponise anything."

"I'm pretty sure I'm using weaponisation in the correct context. Listen, getting words right isn't any of my concern; I've been homeless for the past week, got booted from Henry's for telling Clare to kill herself, and Beth is annoying me. Beth is so annoyed with me; she has caused so many issues. She searched my room, couldn't find evidence of what she was accusing me of, and so she blamed my magazines for my inappropriate and sleezy behaviour. I was gobsmacked. Long story short, she destroyed my magazines in the firepit; we argued; Henry gave up trying and just agreed with Beth, making me out of a home to stay at."

"Poor you." William rolled his eyes. "And here I thought you didn't have consequences for your actions. It looks like you caused so much trouble for yourself, and you think Clare is going to have a little pity party for you. Boo hoo, get a life."

"Listen, I didn't think Henry would kicked me out. I knew I would've disappointed him, but that wench Beth made it worse. She overheard us talking and started accusing me of the wildest of things. All true, but none the less wild. She'd threatened to tell Clare about something that didn't happen that day, and what she heard still blamed me, even though what she heard was me telling you to stop. I can't defend my innocents because she has found other ways to prove me wrong and has doubled down on the accusations. The being homeless part isn't the worst of it. It's the destruction of my things; the blame for something about which he doesn't know the full story. It's like she's out to get me, and I don't understand what I did to wrong her. I haven't been mean to her; I have made no comments about her, nor have I ever intended to do anything like that to her."

"I probably know why, but I'm more concerned about where you've been for the past week and a half. This is probably what Henry meant when he said. You were in a huff."

"I'm not in a huff! I'm angry and very much worried about my clothes that I left at Henry's." Tear drew down my flushes cheeks, so worried that she had donated them to some person who wasn't worthy of my clothing. They were my clothes that I wore with style. I didn't care what happened to me; my clothes were my bigger concern. I can hide all damages to myself, but I can't hide anything in horrid clothing. If I'm going to be dragged through hell and back, I should at least look pretty and hide all the damages life will cause me, mentally, physically, and emotionally.

"You never seem to change; after everything you go through, your key priority is your looks. She might see how vain you are or how greedy you are for money. Either or, if I remember correctly, these are bad ideas to live by."