16 - bad dream

(Warning: this chapter contains and mentions topics that are sensitive for some readers, please read with caution)

Richard lived in a middle-class house I wished I could afford, front garden beautiful, perfectly clean windows with porch. A white picket fence around the garden with stones and rocks at the bottom of both sides. Every home around it was just as fancy and well maintained.

Inside was chaos, the living room, each chair far apart as if any contact near them could cause an infection. A glass coffee table stuffed with toys and whatever onto it. On the floor, toys, blankets and other stuff.

"Sorry about the mess, I haven't made time to clean up. It isn't always like this, I do clean. She just makes the mess 2 days later." Richard laughed awkwardly, kicking around some of the stuff to one side of the room.

"Sit, sit. Would you like tea, coffee? Or water, even?" He smiled, trying to seem like it was normal to have others around.

"It's fine, I just needed someone to talk to and who isn't my close friend because I'll just get told it's fine because I know it will be. I just don't know." I sighed, making room on the couch so I could be able to sit. I glanced at the carpeted floor and sighed. Unsure why I really came here. I wanted to get away. "I guess I wanted to be alone and not worry that I'll catch a cold."

"That's fine." Richard smiled, more than happy to have someone over. He sat next to me, looking down at me with a simple smile.

"humour me. How can you afford such a lovely home?" I asked, leaning back into the couch, it felt like I was sitting on a couch made for a god. How dare I sit so comfortably while being me?

"I'm a photographer." Richard announced proudly with a soft smile. It made some sense. "I'm always out and about working, sometimes it's kinda hard to find time to spend time with my daughter. A busy week is a busy week and I don't like canceling on clients, unless it's serious. I do try to make every night weekend special for her. It's only fair."

"How are you not married?" I asked. "I mean, you tick a lot of boxes, handsome, well put together, smart, hard working, caring, kind, sweet and gentle." I was honest. "If I told you everything we would be here all night."

He chuckled, flattered by my words. "You're too kind. People don't date men with a dead wife and a child." He was being honest.

"I don't think that is true. Women like men who care, who can look after their family and can protect their family. I think even if you find a lady, your daughter will have issues." I smiled, chuckling a bit about the idea of him having his daughter bossing him around. It happens though. I only heard about it but I heard that single parents can't date without having approval of their children because parents don't want to bring someone bad into the house, putting their children at risk. I don't know if it truly happens. I thought once you had a child you had no life and you were the slave to the child until that child became an adult.

"How about some TV?" He asked, grabbing the tv remote and turning on the tv, flicking through channels trying to find something good to watch.

We chatted for a few hours, watching whatever film was on, before falling asleep against him with his arm around me. He let me sleep against him, not bothered.

- dream of 6 years ago -

The wind rattled the walls and roof, adding to the already coldness in the empty room. I stood, coughing up and trembling in coldness and sickness. More coughing came along as I sat on my mattress, looking at the wooden undone floor. A nail or two poked out with stains, rust and blood.

My bedroom rotted with the smell of piss, something horrid odour, which I thought strongly about it was me and something that must have died somewhere or that may have been my hopes and dreams, or just me.