Heads and Necks

"I've very proud of you, Lady Morgan," Darrach said as they ascended on the moving platform.

"You are?" Lilly asked in confusion.

"Yes.  Granted, this is not what I had in mind when I told you to be more diplomatic, but this is a huge step for you.  What about Lord Morgan, though?"

"You let me worry about him.  The man is the head of the family, but the woman is the neck and she can turn the head any way she wants."

The platform stopped and the doors opened.  Darrach eyed Lilly with a smirk.  "And where, exactly, did you hear that?"

As they walked through the open doors, Lilly shrugged.  "I don't know, why?"

"Well, not only do I have access to music from the future, I also have access to motion pictures.  And that phrase, Lady Morgan, is from a motion picture called, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"."

"Hmm.  Interesting title," Lilly remarked as they walked along.  "So do you see all of the future?"

"Not all of it, unfortunately.  A lot of it is clouded."

"I see."  Lilly sighed and scratched her arm.  "Darrach, may I ask you somethin'?"

"Of course."

"I came to see you earlier, about why my soul looks like a diamond...tree...thing, and you never answered me."

"Oh, well...I suppose there's no use in hiding it anymore, is there?" he chuckled.  "Here's the thing.  The Morrigan was only a few months pregnant when you were...taken from her, and you were almost dead, so I did the only thing I could do.  I created a womb for you to stay in to heal you and that created...unforeseen developments."

"Unforeseen developments?" 

"You became part machine and part tree."

Lilly stopped walking and looked at Darrach with wide eyes.  "I'm...part Atlantean machine and part tree?!"

Darrach stopped walking and faced her.  "Yes."

"H-How?!"

"I had to give you what is called a blood transfusion.  And in doing so, you were changed, right down to your DNA."

"DNA?"

"In every cell of a living creature, there lies chromosomes that hold genetic information.  My blood, or rather my tree sap, caused, uh...I think Dr. Van Helsing would refer to it as a mutation."

Lilly shook her head, not quite able to keep up with the science jargon.  "So...does this mean that my children are machine trees too?!"

"Yes, but we should keep this a secret, at least for now."

"Why?"

Darrach sighed.  "From what Cernunnos tells me, Atlantean machines were frowned upon.  People were afraid of them and of the power they possessed, seemingly able to rival the gods.  And, well, you can imagine how the gods reacted to that."

Lilly nodded.  "I see.  So it's for my safety as well as my kids' safety."

"Correct."

"Does anyone else know?"

"Just your mother and stepfather."

"Can I tell Arthur, at least?  I don't want to keep any more secrets from him."

"Yes, you can tell Lord Morgan."

Lilly started walking towards the house with Darrach.  "Does this make you my third parent?"