0.0.XV

CHAPTER ZERO-ZERO-FIFTH-TEEN

        "HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY, to you, too, mommy !...  Aaliyah said cheerfully into the phone to her mother. It was astonishing hearing her voice and occasionally very emotional as to her. She missed her family so much, and although she considered her position a blessed one, she wished her family could be here with her, especially in times like this.

       See, Aaliyah wasn't one of those teenagers who couldn't wait to get away from their families to do whatever they wished. She was very close to her family, and they did everything together. Rather going to the movies, bowling, roller or ice skating, bingo, picnics in the park, and a friendly visit to Lake Michigan beach. So you can imagine how she felt spending the first fourth of July of her existence without them.

      "What do you guys have planned today ?"Aaliyah questioned, putting the phone in between her shoulder and ear while arranging pieces of an outfit on the bed. She put her finger on her chin, still unsatisfied with it.

Something was missing from it...

        Duh... accessories. She rolled her eyes at her foolishness going into her walk-in closet, where a beautiful Luxury Vintage Rectangle Metal Alloy Jewelry Box sat on the top shelf. The gold and white retro flower box with beautiful carved golden pattern flowers around it and a glittery silver crystal on the top lid. It was an heirloom passed down to her by her grandmother and mother. So she deemed it essential so significant that she never left home without it.

"I think we're going to play it smooth this year. Diane chuckled.

Aaliyah let out a laugh. "Mommy smooth, really ?"She inquired. Shad must have told you that you weren't hip again. She said, rolling her eyes and shaking her head. Her mother never used the word smooth before, and what did it even mean in her case.

"Well, excuse me, Missy. Seemingly, simple isn't in anymore. She air quoted, according to your brother's nomenclature. She snorted and Aaliyah giggled. Rashad never seemed to learn his lesson. The last time the two called themselves giving their parents new slang vocabulary, so they could appear cool, they got embarrassed when their father decided to talk that way around his friends and co-workers. Just picture your father telling his colleagues around your friends that he would be right back because he had to go to the ziggy zag.

"He said he didn't want us to be like his peeps folks. Boring and uncool. She sighed. He said he would make us cool; you know what I'm saying, o.g. She said with a rapper accent. Aaliyah shut her eyes and laughed, rubbing her forehead.