II

Rochester, New York City

Aaliyah

CHAPTER TWO

   THE FLIGHT FROM DETROIT to New York wasn't long as I expected it to be. The ride was relatively short and decent, considering the fact I hated flying. I could have slept the whole ride there if I wasn't so anxious, slash nervous, and on the verge of throwing up. As of now, I was on my way to meet DeVante Swing, and the thoughts just kept drilling into my mind as I kept wondering the whole plane ride there would he like me, will he want to work with me, or would he just look at me and laugh straight in my face like some little teenage kid. I hope not. I have given up so much to do this just to be turned down, such as being away from family and friends for months, but I love to sing and perform, and my Uncle promised me that he would make that happen, and I trusted him.

"Last time you been here, Liyah, you were just a little girl.

    "Yeah, I remember. I said, looking up at the enormous skyscrapers from my window. It looks like it grew since then.

      "Are you nervous?

     "No. He looked over at me, obviously able to read my expression. Okay, I'm hella nervous. I answered back quickly.

      He laughed and shook his head. It's okay to be, but you have talent, so you have nothing to fear or be worried about.

  "Oh Yeah... I sighed deeply. Why do I have to audition for him like I'm rejoining Star Search again?

  "Well .... DeVante is just a formidable guy to impress. Don't be denigrated by it. He explained. Truth be told I think it's just that new record label getting to his ego. One thing is for certain the man is a Music genius, and he knows the right step to take to help make you become a star.

I nodded understandably. I decided to take it as it was perceived or explained. We finally pulled up to a two-story brownstone building, it was huge, but it was gorgeous.

"Dang, is this his house?"I asked stunned over the hugeness of it. I mean, it wasn't special or anything and was appealing to look at nevertheless.

"Sort of, it's where he keeps his Swing Mob Artists.

"Why ?"I frowned, examining him. Who wants to live in a house with absolute strangers? My uncle shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't know; it's like some weird specialized Bootcamp he came up with. But never mind all of that, that's not my concern, you are. You gone go in there, sing and knock it out of the park as always, okay?

"Okay.

----------------------------------------------------