39. Escape

He would end it all.

He had enough of this system, this cruelty which had its claws embedded deep in the roots of half the crime that ran around the country rampant.

A cruel system. It would be cruel to sit back and watch when he could do something. When he could try and give it his all. Dying in the process would be martyrdom. Winning through with his plan would be survival.

With all the sins he'd committed though, would he still play the hero?

Oh no, what hero was he? He was worse than any villain there was, who openly spread his reign and all things wrong. Anyone repugnant being wrathful enough to raise chaos.

He was hypocritic.

But was he really? He had good intentions, he would try to be good at the end of the day. He was with the good side, just an undercover here, hiding for a good cause. A greater cause.

But oh, he had done wrong and he knew that all too well. Killing. Assistance in illegal actions. Helping out the wrong side. He couldn't deny all of that, could he? When all of this would be over- if all of this would be over- he knew he'd be taking into custody, go on multiple trials and answer greater authority. He knew very well that after this would be another kind of hell, something entirely different and torturous. Lead by the men sitting above who called themselves 'righteous,' were they really? Would they, who had asked Taehyung of this, play god with him after it all ended too?

They would, definitely. Undeniably. They weren't angels, no saints, but corrupt men who would do anything as long as it benefitted them in the short-term. Tae knew. He knew, courtesy of Yoo-Jegug; the empire he was serving now, as he saw the systems in their essence. He knew, courtesy of Jaeseong, who had dug up deep and dirty info on anyone who could prove to be a threat. Had them saved in those hard drives he kept in his office at the penthouse, which also had data of the things that happened in his empire. Records, and no one but Taehyung knew of this.

That was his target. His proof.

"The gala's postponed and... Jimin's consulting a physical therapist," his boss laughed, scrolling down his phone. His eyes had a look of amusement in them as he looked between his screen and Taehyung. That familiar glint, which never failed to scare Taehyung.

It was rather weird how this sensation was like. Fear came from the unknown, that which one couldn't identify, understand. Yet he knew that spark in his eyes all too well. Saw it every time Jaeseong wanted to be rough with him, every time he had a plan sure to be successful, every time things went his way.

None of them were any good.

His right-hand man looked down, not wanting the elder to see the frightened look he housed on his face. Where this tinge of terror came from, he didn't know, but it creeped up his neck to get a hold of his head. It crawled on his skin with its claws sunk deep inside. It held his breath at bay. It confused him, where was he? What was this feeling?

Jaeseong kept talking.

"Ah Y/N, that stupid girl," the boss mused, angling his phone differently to read on. His finger stopped scrolling, the other hand stuffed in his pocket. He was lazy strolling, as if he hadn't killed anyone recently. Oh, but he had. They had. What a repeated procedure. Tae was sick to the core. "Have you killed her yet?"

He choked on his breath. "Who?"

The elder stopped to look at him, skeptical. It was evident, with the way his eyes narrowed just slightly and one eyebrow quirked, that Jaeseong was vary of how Taehyung acted around him. Still, he seemed to have let it go.