Culprit

When I returned home, nobody spoke about the incident. Everyone pretended that it was a normal day and I was welcomed home with wide arms. I know Ae would have strictly instructed them that they shouldn't mention about what has happened.

After dinner, Ae accompanied me to bedroom. He knew that I was very much disturbed with the happenings and wouldn't fall asleep. He talked with me, trying to ease my pain till I felt my eye lids getting heavy and soon drifted into sleep.

The next day, Ae accompanied me to college. He chose the car which he had used to drop me to college when he was leaving for airport. He sat beside me and pulled me in his arms. He was gently stroking my back trying to calm me down. He knew that I was scared to go to college and wanted to give me as much support as possible.

When we arrived at college, I was reluctant to leave the safe confines of the car. But Ae held my hand and spoke, "Pete, today everyone will know that you are innocent. I am there beside you. Just calm down. Okay?" I just nodded in response and took in sharp breathe trying to compose myself.

I mustered up courage and stepped out of the car. Ae soon followed and stood beside me. "Let's go!" he said and then started to walk inside the building. We were just halfway when the dean approached us. "Mr Intouch, we have already found the culprit. The students have been instructed to be present inside the auditorium." Dean informed.

"Thank you..." Ae replied and then the dean motioned us to follow. We went through different corridors till finally entering the large hall. There was lot of noise coming from inside and I just wanted to run away. I knew everyone will be gathered inside the place and it was going to be really awkward. "Ae, we don't need this. Let the person say sorry and we can let him/her go. We don't have to let the other students know about it. They will look down upon the person." I whispered to Ae.

"Pete, it's not just about accepting the mistake. If something like this is allowed to pass without any punishment, it will happen with someone else. Do you want someone else to go through the same?" he asked. I knew he was right in his place but I was scared for the person who will have to face everyone and accept the mistake.

"But Ae.... I don't want to hurt anyone." I said softly. "I know you very well Pete. But think about the time when people have looked at you with questioning eyes. I know you would have ran away if I wasn't back in time." He said. I cannot talk any further when he knew each and every thought running inside my mind.

We finally arrived at the place and dean walked on the stage while I stood near the stairs with Ae beside me. The dean tapped the mic to check it is working and then started to speak, "Students, I have to bring to your notice few things. Firstly, our institute is a reputed ones and no wrong behavior will be tolerated from any of the student. College is meant for learning good things that will help you in your life to grow and be a better person. But the freedom provided to you is being misused by some. Since, there has been a serious incident reported to me, I have to take necessary actions to stop the misconduct from the students."

"Since everyone has been talking about Pete Intouch, and the negative remarks towards him, the management had to take necessary steps to prevent such incidences from happening. We have investigated the matter and found Pete to be innocent and he was being targeted by someone for their benefit. As a punishment for the said act, the person responsible for causing the damage to the Intouch should apologize to him in front of everyone." The dean spoke. All the students present in the auditorium started to talk in hushed tones.

Then I saw a girl walked up on the stage with her head hanging low and then realized that she was the one who had passed the comment when I had entered the classroom yesterday. "Miss Wan, please explain your behavior." The dean said and stepped aside.