Chapter 12

I groaned, waking up in the bed alone with a headache. I looked up to see Chris already fully dressed, coming out of the bathroom. "You're already dressed?"

He nodded, "I have class first thing Valerie. Don't you?"

I looked at the time to see it was just after 7. "At 9." I looked back at him, "but we only slept together. We didn't get to do anything else."

He smiled, sitting on the bed next to her, "yes. And? Couples do that all the time."

I sat up, "are we a couple Chris?"

He sighed, running his hands through her hair, "Val. I'm doing the best I can."

I nodded, leaning into his hand as he placed it on my cheek, "I know. Can I come see you tonight? At the piano bar."

He stood up, shaking his head, "no. Not tonight Valerie."

I huffed, getting out of bed and getting dressed, "fine."

He groaned, "don't be upset Val. I just said not tonight."

I felt him grab my hand, but I pulled it away, "it's fine Chris. I have to get home so I can change before class."

"Let me drop you off."

I shook my head as I put on my shoes, "no. I'll just get an Uber home. Don't worry about it. Don't want to be seen with me."

He groaned as he watched her leave before he could say anything else.

************************************************************

I showed up to class and sat down, avoiding Chris's gaze as I did. I avoided his gaze the entire class, leaving before he could stop me. I returned back to the apartment to messages from not only him but from Kyle as well. The messages from Kyle were asking me out for tonight since he had the night off. I looked at the message from Chris.

>I'm sorry Val. Will you come over when I get home?<

I sighed. >I don't think so. Not tonight.< I messaged Kyle back, accepting the date and asked what I should wear.

*****************************************************

I met Kyle at an upscale bar downtown. I chose a black dress that fell to my knees with a small slit and the top was off the shoulders. I saw him stand as I approached him, wearing slacks and a black button down tucked it, "you clean up nice Kyle."

He laughed, kissing her on the cheek as she sat, "here I was thinking the same about you. You look amazing Val."

"Thanks." I looked to see he already had glasses of whisky waiting for us both, "guess that's a plus. You already know my drink."

He smiled, "right." He leaned towards her, "so you're finishing school right?"

I nodded, "yeah. And you? Do you have a life outside the bar? You're always there when I show up."

He laughed, shrugging, "well I own the bar. So I spend a lot of time there. But one good thing about owning it is that I can take the night off to take out a pretty girl."

I blushed, shaking my head, "and why has it taken you so long to ask me out? Why did I have to make you?"

He laughed again, "I'm sorry. I didn't want to seem pushy. Or that guy. Bartenders are always asking out patrons. And I wasn't sure you were interested."

I nodded, "sorry. I'm normally pretty shy."

He nodded, "I noticed. I also noticed you have been more confident lately."

I shrugged, "I guess so." I was about to say something but heard someone start to play piano and sing. I recognized the song, starting to groan until I looked up to see who it was. I realized I was in the bar Chris went to on Wednesdays.

Kyle watched her look to the stage as the music started, mumbling to himself, "and I've lost you."

🎵 Well sometimes I go out by myself
And I look across the water
And I think of all the things, what you're doing
And in my head I paint a picture
Cos since I've come on home,
Well my body's been a mess
And I've missed your brown hair
And the way you like to dress
Won't you come on over
Stop making a fool out of me
Why don't you come on over Valerie?
Valerie? Valerie? Valerie?
Did you have to go to jail,
Put your house up on for sale, did you get a good lawyer?
I hope you didn't catch a tan,
I hope you'll find the right man who'll fix it for ya
And are you shoppin' anywhere,
Changed the color of you hair, are you busy?
And did you have to pay the fine
You were dodging all the time, are you still dizzy?
Cos, Since I've come on home,
Well my body's been a mess
And I've missed your brown hair
And the way you like to dress
Won't you come on over
Stop making a fool out of me
Why don't you come on over Valerie?
Valerie? Valerie? Valerie?
Well sometimes I go out by myself
And I look across the water
And I think of all the things, what you're doing
And in my head I paint a picture
Cos, since I've come on home,
Well my body's been a mess
And I've missed your brown hair
And the way you like to dress
Won't you come on over
Stop making a fool out of me
Why don't you come on over Valerie?
Valerie? Valerie? Valerie? Valerie?
Oh Valerie? Valerie? Valerie?
Why don't you come on over Valerie?🎵

I noticed Chris notice me with Kyle halfway through the song as I looked back down at the table.

Kyle sighed, "is there something going on between you?"

I shrugged, "No! Not really."

He scoffed, "I think it's pretty obvious there is."

I groaned, "I'm sorry Kyle. Can we go?"

*************************************************************

After he dropped me off at the apartment, I changed into pajamas and laid on my bed, staring at the ceiling. I looked at messages from an obviously drunk Chris. He was obviously upset at seeing me with Kyle. I sighed, getting up and putting on my shoes before driving to his house. It felt like I waited forever to answer the door, which he did, wearing only jeans. "I changed my mind, I want to stay here tonight."

Before he could say anything she had her arms around his neck, her lips pressed firmly to his. He moaned softly before she pulled away.

I looked near the door, noticing a pair of women's shoes, "who is here, Chris?"

He groaned, "I thought you were going home with Kyle."

"Who's here?!" I picked up the shoes as a woman came into view. She was tall and blonde and I recognized her as a waitress from the bar we just were and wearing only his shirt. I looked back at Chris, "are you kidding me?" I launched her shoes at her as I heard her grunt, hitting her in the chest and stomach.

"Valerie!" Chris tried to grab her hand but she pulled away.

"No. I'm not doing this anymore Chris." I turned back to him from the door, "I had Kyle take me home after hearing you play. I wanted you. Only you. But you couldn't say the same."