Chapter 14

"Thanks for this Tommy." I accepted my chocolate ice cream cone as Tommy paid for our ice cream at a shop down the street from our apartment building.

He laughed, "of course. Ice cream always makes you feel better. Even if it's still a bit chilly."

I laughed, "it's never too cold for ice cream Tommy." I was about to say something else when I heard my name.

"Valerie!" The girls spoke in unison.

I looked to see Bailey and Britney followed closely by their dad. I groaned silently to myself as I smiled at them. "Hey girls. Seems we had the same idea this Sunday afternoon. Making your dad buy you ice cream?" I avoided Chris's gaze, but knew he was glaring at Tommy and me.

Bailey nodded, "when are we going to get to hang out with you again Valerie?"

I looked up at Chris who smiled.

"They have been asking to see you."

I shrugged, looking back down at the girls, "I don't know. Maybe I can talk to your dad and the next time you're there I can come over and we can do something just us girls."

They both smiled, nodding enthusiastically as Bailey pointed to Tommy. "Is that your boyfriend?"

I looked up at Chris and answered "no."

Tommy put his arm around her shoulder at the same time, "yes. I am."

I felt my face redden as I turned to Tommy who was glaring at Chris. I groaned, pushing him in front of me. "Nice to see you girls." I looked at Chris, "Professor."

When we made it outside, I hit him in the chest, "you're not my boyfriend Tommy."

He rolled his eyes, "so. He doesn't need to know that. He needs to be jealous."

I laughed, shaking my head as he put his arm back around my shoulder, "I don't appreciate pissing contests Tommy. Just stay out of it. Please."

He nodded, "fine."

*****************************************

I sighed, entering class early on Monday, handing a piece of paper to Chris. "I want to drop the class, but I need you to sign it."

He scoffed, shaking his head as he handed it back to her, "I'm not signing it and you're not dropping the class Val."

I crossed my arms in front of my chest, "if you don't, I'll tell the dean you slept with a student."

He laughed, standing up from his desk, "no you won't."

I watched him for a moment, "how do you know?"

He pressed his body firmly against hers as he heard her breath hitch, "because we both know it isn't just sex." He sat back at his chair, "did you finish your homework for today?"

I nodded, "I always do."

"Good. Sit, Ms. Wilson. I look forward to your quote. I have one for you."

I watched him smirk before I went to sit in my normal seat. 

Chris cleared his throat as he stood up from his desk, "literature, or stories that are well written have a way of invoking all different sorts of emotions in us. Some are emotions the author was intending, some are not. You were supposed to find a quote from a book that makes you feel confident. Or powerful. Now since this is personal and up to our own interpretations, you don't have to explain why. I'll go first." He pulled out a piece of paper, glancing at Valerie before looking back down to read it, "How could anyone compare grudging acquiescence to this, the heady moment when a powerful woman trusted you enough to let herself be powerless? Kit Rocha."

I blushed as I avoided his gaze and waited as everyone else went before I felt his eyes land on me.

"Ms. Wilson. What do you have?"

I sighed, "While I've been naked before, I've never been bare. Not like I am with him. I feel like he can see every bit of me, every ugly, unlovable part of me I've tried for years to hide away. He sees me. And he wants me anyway. Brighton Walsh."

I saw Tommy standing at the door as class ended. I watched him enter, making his way to me, "what are you doing here Tommy?"

He shrugged, looking at Chris who was watching them and back at her, "I wanted to walk you home."

I laughed, standing up, "Tommy. I love you, but I'm a big girl. I don't need you hovering."

He groaned, "I know. I know."

I placed my hand on his cheek, "go home. We can watch a movie at your place? I'll be there soon." I kissed him on the cheek as he nodded.

He looked back at Chris one more time, "okay Val."

I waited until he left before approaching Chris's desk. I leaned against it as he remained in his chair.

Chris sighed, "what is up with him?"

I hesitated, "he's just being overprotective over me. Um, he knows Chris."

He groaned, "you told him?!"

I shrugged, "I showed up at his place, upset. I had to tell him why. He's my friend. He won't say anything. I promise."

Chris nodded, "okay." He leaned towards her, "I'm really sorry Valerie. You have no idea. Let me make it up to you. The girls are at their mother's this weekend. Come over on Friday and stay all weekend with me. Please."

I groaned, "Chris. I don't know. I want to be with you, but I don't know."

"I want to be with you Valerie. I want you to be mine. Only mine Val. No dates. No sex with anyone else. If you want dates, I'll work It out. Please." He stood up from the desk, leaning against the wall across from her, "and Valentine's Day is next week."

I giggled, "are you asking me to be your Valentine Evans?"

Chris smiled, nodding, "I am. But, we can start with this weekend."

I nodded, "I'll think about it. I have to go." I started to walk away but felt him grab my hand.

"And I do want every part of you. There are no unlovable parts of you."

I nodded, brushing away a tear from his intensity before pulling my hand away.