Chapter 22

Chris mostly avoided my gaze on Friday in class. As I got up to leave, I saw him wink at me, making me blush as I watched Tommy enter the classroom, putting his arm around my shoulder, kissing my cheek. I rolled my eyes, "don't lay it on so thick Tommy." As we approached the door to the classroom, I saw him.

"Daddy?"

I leaped into his arms as I felt him swing me around, "what are you doing here?"

He shrugged, "I told you I was coming. I wanted to see you in your element."

I laughed as I heard Chris walk up behind me.

"Mr. Wilson. It's good to meet you."

I watched him hold out his hand as I held my breath. "Daddy, this is Chris Evans. He's my literature professor."

He nodded, shaking his hand, "you can call me Dave if you like. It's nice to meet you."

Chris nodded, "your daughter is brilliant."

I groaned, blushing as I watched Tommy snicker.

Dave nodded, "I know she is."

Chris laughed as he watched Valerie grab her father's hand, "well it was nice to meet you."

I shook my head, dragging him away, "let's go daddy." I looked back at Chris to see him wink at me again and mouth the words 'I love you'. "Where is Karen and Alice?"

"They're at the hotel." He looked at Tommy, "nice to see you again Tommy."

Tommy smiled, "you too, Mr. Wilson."

Dave nodded, "I know you're not dating my daughter." He stopped and pointed to her necklace, "so who bought you the necklace?"

I felt my face redden, "what do you mean? Why not Tommy?"

He laughed as they kept walking, "because I know you well enough to know Tommy isn't enough for you." He paused, "sorry Tommy."

Tommy scoffed, making me laugh. "Drop it daddy. Please."

***********************************

I was happy he didn't say anything else the entire way back to the apartment. When we entered, he turned to me.

"Why was your teacher so adamant about introducing himself to me?"

I groaned, "I don't know." I smiled, "maybe I'm his favorite student."

He laughed, "yeah. I bet you are."

"Daddy!" I heard Anna and Tommy laugh as Dave looked at them.

"She's sleeping with the attractive professor, isn't she?"

I saw them both look at me before leaving the apartment, "daddy! Please drop it."

He laughed again, "why didn't you tell me?"

I watched him for a moment, "you're not angry?"

He shrugged, "should I be? Is he married?"

"No. Of course he isn't."

He nodded, "how old is he?"

I sighed, "he's 32."

He pointed at the necklace, "and he bought that for you?"

I nodded, "yes."

Dave smiled, "you love him?"

I hesitated but nodded, "I do daddy. Very much."

He shrugged, "okay then. You're an adult Valerie. I trust your judgment. I know you aren't the girl that would sleep with a teacher just to say you did it. And I meant what I said when I said Tommy wouldn't be enough for you. No offense, but he's a kid. Now, do I get to meet him properly while I'm here?"