Chapter 15

"What are we doing here Valerie?"

I shrugged, sitting at a table with Anna and Tommy at the piano bar I knew Chris frequented on Wednesday. "I thought we could try something different." I looked up as a waitress approached our table and saw the same one that had been in Chris's house a week prior. I groaned, hoping she didn't recognize me.

"I'm Kelley! Can I get you guys something?"

I sighed, grateful she seemed oblivious as we ordered drinks. I heard Anna squeal as Kelley walked away, nudging my shoulder.

"Val! Isn't that your teacher?"

I looked up to see Chris next to the stage and heard Tommy scoff next to me.

"Seriously Valerie? Is this why we're here?"

Anna looked at them confused, "you knew he played here?" She giggled, "does Valerie have a crush?"

Tommy huffed, shaking his head as our drinks arrived.

I shushed them as I heard Chris start to play.

🎵My life is like a theater
Where she makes her appearance every day
And every day it's the same old play
She's the main character
The heartbreaker, the savior, and the one that got away
So far away yet so close to me
And it is getting harder to mask these
Feelings that I harbor for her
Cuz she's just out of reach
Even when she's right in front of me
And on the days when she's miles away
I can still see her face
I guess I'm a ghost, and she is a dream
The most beautiful thing I've seen
And she's just out of reach
She's just out of reach
She's not too accepting
But I hope to be her one exception someday
But someday seems so far away
I'm just an atmosphere
Heartbroken, you never know cuz you never know I'm here
As she basks in our thunderous cheers
And it is getting harder to mask these
Feelings that I harbor for her
Cuz she's just out of reach
Even when she's right in front of me
And on the days when she's miles away
I can still see her face
I guess I'm a ghost, and she is a dream
The most beautiful thing I've seen
And she's just out of reach
She's just out of reach
Oh my heart's in a cast, but it's a terrible actor cuz
My emotions are kept in the background
Every time I get close
And our eyes connect
I know how it goes
But I love to forget
That she's just out of reach
Even when she's right in front of me
And on the days when she's miles away
I can still see her face
I guess I'm a ghost, and she is a dream
The most beautiful thing I've seen
And she's just out of reach
She's just out of reach
🎵

"Wow. He's really good!"

I looked at Anna and smiled, "he is."

She smiled, "so he's hot, smart and plays piano? Geez, the woman that locks him down is going to be lucky. I can only hope to imagine that he is awful in bed. I mean, he's too perfect. Right?"

I blushed as I heard Tommy laugh.

"I don't know, Valerie. What do you think?"

I groaned, "Tommy! Shut your face before I shut it for you."

Anna watched them, "what does he mean Valerie?"

I shook my head as I saw Chris make eye contact with me, smiling before walking over to our table.

"Ms. Wilson." He looked around the table, "and Mr. Harris." He looked at Anna, holding his hand to her, "and I'm sorry, I don't know your name, Ms...."

Anna accepted his hand, "Nash. Anna Nash."

He nodded, "nice to meet you Ms. Nash." He looked back at Valerie, "I'll see you on Friday."

I half smiled at him as I watched him walk away before turning to Tommy.

"How does he know my name?"

I laughed, "you're always visiting me in class. He knew your name was Tommy. He probably looked it up."

Anna shook her head, "why would he care?" She noticed Valerie avoiding her gaze, "Valerie! What aren't you telling me?" She laughed, "what, are you sleeping with him?"

I groaned, looking at Tommy who only shrugged. "Anna, I..."

"Oh my god! Valerie! How could you not tell me? He is the older man you were talking about before?"

I groaned again, resting my forehead on the table.

Tommy sighed, "you can't tell anyone Anna."

She looked at him, "you knew?"

He shrugged, "only recently. Anna!" He grabbed her arm.

She nodded, pulling her arm away from him, "I obviously won't say anything Tommy." She placed her hand on Valerie's back, "I won't say anything Valerie. How long?"

I sighed, sitting up, "I met him before I knew he was my teacher; before school started."

"What? Since school started? And you didn't tell me?"

I shrugged, "I couldn't. He doesn't want anyone to know, for obvious reasons Anna."

She nodded, "I know. I told you, I won't say anything. I promise Valerie."

"Thank you. Cause it's kind of hard keeping it all to myself. He wants me to come over this Friday and stay with him all weekend."

Anna squealed, "you're going to right?"

Tommy groaned, "I thought he hurt you."

I nodded, "he did. It was also a misunderstanding. I just don't know."

Anna watched her for a moment, "wait. You actually like him? More than."

I shrugged, "I don't know yet. We never really get past the sex." I blushed as I heard Tommy groan and Anna laugh.

"Oh. That sounds awful Valerie."

I laughed at her sarcastic tone as I nudged her on the shoulder. "I know. He says it can only be sex and then says it's more than just sex. We can't really date, so I don't know."

Tommy sighed, "well if you have feelings for him and you feel like it could be more than just sex, then you should explore it. I mean you only have to keep it under wraps for a few months."

I nodded, resting my head on his shoulder, "thank you Tommy."