Chapter 24

"What are you working on? Homework? If it's for my class, I'm sure we could work something out." He laughed at her unamused look.

I looked up at Chris from my laptop while we flew to Boston, "really? No, it's that book I told you about." I pushed his face away from me, "now get out of here."

He laughed, "are you going to tell me what it's about?"

I shrugged, "when it's done. Maybe."

He nodded, "okay. Be that way."

I laughed as I watched him rest his head back on the chair, closing his eyes as he rested his hand on my thigh.

****************************************

"You're going to be fine love." I felt Chris lean down to my ear as we entered his mother's house.

"Valerie!"

I laughed as I got attacked by Scott, "hi Scott."

He grabbed her bag, "I'll put these in Chris's room."

I nodded as I felt Chris grab my hand, following the girls, watching them being greeted with hugs from his family. I felt Chris nudge me ahead of him.

"Mom, dad, this is Valerie."

I half smiled, "Mr. and Mrs. Evans. It's nice to meet you."

His mother shook her head, smiling, "no no. Please call me Lisa." She motioned to his father, "and Robert. Please."

I nodded, "sure."

Chris chuckled, "she isn't normally so shy."

I blushed, hitting him on the arm, "Chris!"

Lisa laughed, "it's fine dear. Scott and Chris have told us all about you."

I groaned as I was ushered into the kitchen where I was introduced to his sisters and their families. I felt Chris grab my hand, "well your family certainly is a bit bigger than mine."

He chuckled, "I know. Sit."

I nodded as I looked at everyone watching me, "okay. Let's have it. Anything you would like to know Scott hasn't told you already?"

Chris laughed, sitting next to her, "there she is."

I chuckled, shaking my head as I felt him place his hand on my thigh to calm me.

Lisa smiled, "so Chris tells us you're his student?"

I groaned, looking at Chris who just shrugged. I looked back at her, "I am. We met before we knew I was in his class though." I looked back at Chris, "but we found it hard to stay away anyways."

He smiled, "we did."

Lisa nodded, "and you're going to be staying out there after you graduate?" She looked at Chris and back at Valerie. "What is the long-term goal here?" She shrugged, "I mean, I assume you guys are serious about each other or he wouldn't have brought you here."

I groaned, looking at Chris, "we are serious. Yes." I looked at his family as they all watched me, "and no. I'll be moving to New York during the summer. That's where I'm from. That's where I'm hoping to find a job."

She sighed, "so you're going to be even farther from him?"

Before I could answer, Chris stood up.

"Actually." He put his hand up as if to tell everyone to wait.

I stood up, following him into the other room where he sat at a piano. "Do you all know how to play?"

Lisa laughed, "I do. And I taught the kids. Chris is really the only one that never stopped."

I nodded, "he's really good."

She smiled, "I know."

Chris sat and began to play, looking at Valerie.

🎵 In the light of the sun
Is there anyone?
Oh, it has begun
Oh dear, you look so lost
Eyes are red and tears are shed
This world you must have crossed
You said you don't know me
And you don't even care
Oh yeah
You said you don't know me
And you don't wear my chains
Oh yeah
Essential yet appealed
Carry all your thoughts
Across an open field
When flowers gaze at you
They're not the only ones
Who cry when they see you
You said you don't know me
And you don't even care
Oh yeah
We said you don't know me
And you don't wear my chains
Oh yeah
She said I think I'll go to Boston
I think I'll start a new life
I think I'll start it over
Where no one knows my name
I'll get out of California
I'm tired of the weather
Think I'll get a lover
And fly him out to Spain
I think I'll go to Boston
I think that I'm just tired
I think I need a new town
To leave this all behind
I think I need a sunrise
I'm tired of the sunset
I hear it's nice in the summer
Some snow would be nice
Oh yeah
You don't know me
And you don't even care
Oh yeah
Boston
Where no one knows my name
Yeah
Boston
Where no one knows my name
🎵

I laughed, "Boston?"

He smiled and nodded, standing up. "Yeah. I'll be moving to Boston this summer after Helen gets married. They'll be moving out here sometime before the start of school next year too."

"Really?!" I started to approach him, but his mother and family beat me to it. I watched him hug them as he watched me.

Once he was done, he approached Valerie, "move to Boston. You can always write here."

I felt my face redden as I felt everyone watching me. I spoke quietly, "you can't just ask me to move to Boston in front of your entire family Chris. Especially on the first meeting."

He grabbed her hand, pulling her into a bedroom.

I looked around, "is this your bedroom?"

He nodded, "it was, yes. I'm sorry. But I love you, Valerie. Boston isn't far from New York." He shrugged, "move here."

I groaned, "I want to be a writer in New York, Chris. It's all I ever wanted."

Chris groaned, "I know. But dreams can change. I'm sure you never planned on falling in love with your professor. But here we are love! You can write for the Globe. Just think about it. Please." He sighed, sitting on the bed, "I thought you would be easier to convince than Helen."

I climbed into his lap, straddling him on the bed, "I love you, Chris. The plan was always to move back home to New York. We've only known each other for three months. You want me to completely uproot all my plans?"

He sighed again, pulling her to him, "kind of." He smiled when he heard her laugh, "I know it isn't what you were planning. But please, think about it."

I nodded, "of course I will."

He watched her for a moment, "what if I commanded you to move to Boston?"

I laughed, "it doesn't work like that and you know it."

He smiled, "I had to try, didn't I?"

I nodded, laughing, "you did. You know you're the only man I've ever been in love with?"

Chris smiled, "you're the second, but it's different with you. Everything is. I want to wake up with you here every day, Val."

I moaned softly, "I want that too. I'll think about it Chris."