29| Engagement Party

The Strip was freaking amazing. We landed a day before the engagement party and went sightseeing. It was my first time in Las Vegas and it was so entertaining. They say New York City never sleeps but I could say the same about Las Vegas.

We couldn't see everything on the Strip because it was so long, but we did go to Little Venice. I think that I took about a million pictures. I don't even like social media, but I was going to post them all.

In the evening we had dinner with the Ricci's. Theo didn't look particularly nervous, but I was. My brother is a good person and he only deserves the best. I didn't want to see him stuck in a loveless marriage for the rest of his life. But I tried to be supportive, especially because Silas was ruining it with his foul mood.

"You're twenty-four years old, Silas. Don't make me get you to behave." Dad warned him when we stepped inside the hotel restaurant.

I was holding hands with dad because Amelia had already claimed Theo. Silas grunted under his breath but stopped sulking too obviously when dad gave him a look. If there was someone even more against the idea of Theo getting married, then it was Silas. I don't know why but ever since it's been decided, he's been difficult to deal with.

Diego Ricci was already seated at a big table along with his mother and younger sister. They quickly stood up when they spotted us. My eyes went to Ariana Ricci first. She was wearing a long-sleeved floral dress that came to her shins. There was a brown belt around her waist and all I could think was: 'damn, she's pretty.'

Her long black hair was curled slightly and she wore a very natural makeup look. I tried to see if she was scared because I would be in her situation. The same thing almost happened to me. But she wore this perfect and polite smile. She did it so easily which could only mean that it was fake.

"Signor Cassano." Diego Ricci kissed Hector's signet ring.

I've seen it before, but it still weirded me out. It was supposed to be etiquette, the proper way of greeting the don.

Diego Ricci looked a lot like his younger sister; they had the same black hair and green eyes. He was only much taller and more muscular than her. I believe that the eyes tell a lot. Nicolas' pupils got smaller when he lied about eating my cake pops, Silas' got bigger when he was angry, and Amelia's trembled slightly when she was upset. Diego's pupils got bigger when he looked at his younger sister. It was just odd.

The remaining time of dinner was odd as well. Their mother was a very mouthy person and didn't shut up. While the men discussed business, she told us all about her interests. She liked shopping, exercising, and going out with friends. Ariana hadn't even uttered one word after introductions. She almost sat next to her mother like a broken doll.

"What about you, dear? What do you like to do?" Mom tried to engage her in the conversation.

She looked confused as to why we were asking her questions.

"Ah, she's quite boring. Always reading in her room." Her mother commented.

Why would she call her own daughter boring? She had a mean tone to her voice that worried me. I had a feeling that this mother was the reason why Ariana was so quiet.

"Reading books can be entertaining." mom chuckled forced.

"No, don't bother with her."

Then she proceeded to talk about herself for the rest of the night. When I came back to my room afterwards, I hoped that the same wouldn't happen at the party. But of course, it did. That woman was just so terrible. She was stealing all the attention at her daughter's engagement party. Ariana just stood there by the side, almost like a wallflower.