32| Lovestruck Elena

Elena POV:

"What's an enforcer?" I asked Victor as we sat in the study room.

I'd already finished my homework but I was never allowed out before dinner. Hector was still so strict about my academic performance.

Victor was reading a book for his English Literature class. He'll graduate high school next month and go to study medicine at Colombia University. Apparently, Colombia was our families' university. All my older siblings had gone there, even the twins.

Expect Nicolas, who dropped out shortly after what happened to him. That's why I was asking Victor what an enforcer was because I've heard Silas talk to it about Nicolas.

"Did you eavesdrop, Elle?" Victor asked me with raised eyebrows.

"Silas has a loud voice." I shrugged.

Amelia nodded from her desk in agreement. She was still struggling with her math homework. I've tried to help her but she wanted to do it on her own.

"It's business. You shouldn't ask." He flipped a page in his book.

I scoffed and laid my arms around his neck. I've learned a lot from living with my brothers for more than a year already. My puppy dog eyes were irresistible.

"It's the person who deals with the unpaid debts. He goes to collect them violently." He explained shortly.

"And Nico is one?" I demanded.

Victor gave me a stern look but I didn't back down. Nicolas was still going through a rough period and I knew that he was in a lot of pain.

"He's been for a couple of months. It's helping him get rid of his anger."

"By beating up people?"

It sounded dumb coming from me. I knew what my family did for a living and it involved beating up people. But this wasn't a healthy manner to move on from trauma.

"People who knowingly lend money from the mob, Elena. They know what they get themselves into when they ask for money." Amelia gave me a look.

They grew up in this world but it still felt so new to me. I tried to understand it but I felt uncomfortable. Victor caught that.

"That's why I didn't want to tell you. Just don't worry about it too much." He squeezed my cheek.

I was worried about Nicolas. Months have passed and he's a completely different person now. He bulked up so much that he looked like a blonde mini version of Silas. He didn't eat any sweets like he used to nor does he tease me.

It was selfish and wrong of me to say this, but I missed my fluffy foodie brother.

"Instead of worrying about Nico so much, you should worry about yourself. Think about how you'll convince Hector to let you go out with Daniel." Amelia told me as she closed her books.

She simply grabbed my homework and started copying it. I've gotten used to it. She'd work hard until five minutes before dinner. Then she'd copy my math homework.

"He asked you out?" Victor asked.

I blushed.

To be honest, I really hadn't expected it. Yet, during lunch break, I was sitting at our usual table and while stealing his chips, he dropped the question.

'Do you want to go to the movies with me Friday?'

I choked on a chip while he softly patted my back. My friends had laughed at me while I uttered out that I'll have to ask permission first. Though, I really wanted to say yes with my full chest.