58| CEO

Elena POV:

One year later...

The view from my office was the best. I could spot the Empire State Building and Central Park. People looked like ants from up here and it was almost frightening how much power was suddenly entrusted to me.

CEO Elena Cassano.

It's only been a few weeks since I got my degree in business. Although I was scared, I had no time to fret over it. The company was in desperate need of structural reform and good cleansing. My aunt Fiona had basically given me a shipwreck.

The board had not been doing their job. They watched how she led this company to destruction and did nothing to stop it. That made everything even more difficult for me because it showed me that they weren't passionate about the company.

One thing that I'll never forget: don't have the board against you. It's like running uphill.

So I had to work out a plan. Get intel from a few employees that I can trust. Make a list of suspicious people and remove them from their positions without stepping on too many toes.

The list was longer than I'd expected so it was going to be a rough start.

But I don't give up.

Last year had been hectic but healing. I focused mainly on my mental health and co silted many professionals. It was time-consuming and hard but I'm at a much better place.

I have this to work for, my relationship with Alexander and trying to fix my bond with my family.

A year was a very long time to not see them but I needed the distance. I had to know that I was not too dependent on them. Also, I didn't want them to see me like how I was.

I wasn't ashamed of my bad mental health. It was building up and I'm glad that I got help but my family has never seen such a dark side of me. They saw the panic attacks and the nightmares, but never my suicidal thoughts.

I already burdened Alexander and Nicolas with that. I don't want to do that to any more people. Especially not when I don't feel like that anymore.

I don't want to be hurt or hurt other people around me. I wanted to move on from all of this but that comes with confrontation.

Today was my confrontation with my mom. We had a board meeting in an hour but she came in first to see how I was doing. The last time I saw her, things were bad. I was angry with her for threatening me to break up with Alexander. She was angry at me for being with Alexander.

It was awkward. She sat down on the sofa in my office while I poured her a glass of water. My hands shook slightly when I handed her the glass and took a seat opposite from her.

I used to be able to talk to her about everything and now I'm terrified to talk to her.

"Your papa showed me the pictures of graduation. You looked stunning." She started.

The only ones who came to my graduation were: Nicolas, Nestor, papa, Amelia, my friends, Dahlia, and Ariana. Normally Leonardo and Victor would come as well, but Victor was on an interim ship in Japan and Leonardo overslept. My other brothers sent congratulations through text.

"I invited you all," I said.

I did. But I didn't expect everybody to come. I hadn't said anything to them in a whole year. It was fair for them to be upset with me. I understand.

"We didn't want to upset you." She almost whispered.

Mama never apologised to me for her hurtful words. I wanted her to apologise but she seems to think that everything will upset me even more.