t h i r t y - s i x : crumpled notes

●●○

"Hey. . . is it just me or are the two of them ignoring each other?" Yayoi pointed out, as she and Kekoi ate their lunch together in the classroom. The ravenette nodded her agreement. Earlier, the two of them noticed how [Name] had been blatantly pretending that Gakushuu never existed. That includes not looking at his direction at all. She had always waved to all of her classmates whenever she sees them in the hallways, but when it comes to the boy, a cold shoulder is given instead.

"I wonder if something happened between them, afterall last Friday when [Name] Chan followed Asano Kun out of the gymnasium, the two of them never returned." Kekoi added on, before taking another bite of her bread. The two of them sat together, waiting for [Name] to come back from the cafeteria. Meanwhile, Gakushuu was with his group of friends, having a casual conversation of whatever teenage boys talk about.

"Hey, is everything alright with [Last Name]-" Even before Seo could finish his sentence, Gakushuu threw a harsh glare at him.

"I believe we were talking about the new recruitments for the student council body, weren't we?" He spoke, ignoring Seo's question completely. The rest of the Five Virtuosos weren't surprised, they had familiar attempts, but each of them ended the same way.

"Something definitely happened..." Their thoughts were all the same.

"Speaking of that, I have to pick up the written proposals from the same recruits. Lets go." Gakushuu curtly said, standing up from his seat and walked of, with his gang trailing behind him.

Just as he approached the door, [Name] appeared right infront of him. There was a complete silence, with tension arousing from the two classmates. None of them said a word or reacted. They had one curt eye contact before they coldly walked passed each other.

As if they were complete strangers.

Both of then continued walking to their destinations; him to his student council roon and her to her group of friends. As Gakushuu walked down the hallway, he couldn't help but recount the brief encounter he had with [Name] at the door.

[Name] paused upon noticing Gakushuu blocking her way. Her lashes fluttered as she took a glanced up, right at his face, before returning her gaze back onto the ground. Those eyes that used to look at him with stars and admiration were now cold and nothing. She moved out of the way, without ever looking back at him again.

He hated it, hated how she looks at him now, hated how she was right all along. If he didn't had his ego, he would have apologised for hurting her, but too bad he still clings onto it. He doesn't care if it hurts him or her, it's the only thing he has for himself.

The great Asano Gakushuu can never be wrong!

Was he really that great if he felt his lungs being crushed at the mere memory of [Name]'s cold eyes?

●●○

"Are you and Asano doing alright? You just totally ignored him earlier." Yayoi asked midway during their lunch.

[Name] stared at Yayoi, while her mouth still chewed on her food. She feigned a flinched, pretending she had bit her tongue.

"Ow- My tongue. . " [Name] winced, completely dodging the question with her fake pain. It worked, the both of them got worried and the conversation changed to a different topic.

"Jeez, it's really easy to change the direction of conversation with them." [Name] didn't mean it in a malicious way of course, she was glad about that fact because its easier to avoid truths. She appreciates that her friends are looking out for her and Gakushuu, but as of now, she can't bring herself to care about him right now. Though, her mind was always about him. She had grown to care for him and his shitty attitude, wanting him to be the best version of himself, and not go down the path of selfishness.

His violet eyes gazed down upon her figure. She watched coolly as his dark pupils flicker when their eyes met. As she expected, he had his usual poker face on, though she could sense of pain that swirled underneath that facade of his. However, she had has enough of him. Enough of his lies, his flattery and his selfish, ignorant actions. So she walked passed him, leaving behind a trail of bitter cold to seer him with.

[Name] recounted their brief encounter. How such a little, almost insignificant, moment could become something that brings so much pain in her heart. She, who had spent her entire life under her parents' thumb, understands the pain that he's going through. To want more than just be a dignified overachiever for his father. But atlas, he's walking down his father's path.

"I really want to help him, but how?"

It's stupid but she really wants to talk to him, to able to communicate their issues and settle it so that the both of them can go back to the way it was. Call her an idiot but god darn it [Name] does not want to lose a friend, especially since she barely has any.

So her words were transcribed onto tiny slips of papers, folded and hidden away in the crevice of Gakushuu's desk. Her notes started off with simple head ups, such as "Don't leave your lunch again in class" or "Read up on Hook and Eye for the pop quiz" which then involved into checking in with his well-being.

Though none of her notes ever gotten a reply.

This radio silence from the boy himself went on for a week. [Name] didn't care much, as long she knew that atleast she was putting in some effort to show her care. She's been ignorning her cousin's advice, and that'll soon bite her back.

It happened too soon, too quickly for [Name] to process it herself. Too sudden for Gakushuu to come up with an excuse.

The classroom back door slid open on one fine evening, the setting sun blessing the neatly arranged chairs and tables to be sunned on gently. A stapled worksheet lay dormant under her desk, waiting to be retrived by the owner herself, [Name]. However, the moment she stepped in, the sound of paper crushing ringed in her ears.

A familiar stature was seen at the front, standing right next to the paper waste basket. His strawberry blonde hair glistened in the light, shoulders broad and tall yet hunched over, hands in fists. In his grip was small pieces of notes that she had left for him was reduced to nothing but crumples. He turned, and the crumpled notes in his hands fell into the basket, only realizing then that she saw everything.

[Name] wondered what face Gakushuu saw when he turned around to see her, walking calmly towards her desk to retrieve the worksheet that she had left behind. She had no energy to mask herself, so her raw emotion engulfed her expression.

Was it anger? Sadness? Disgust?

She couldn't tell.

His voice softly calling out her name was drowned out by a static sound in her mind, retracting her mental self out of reality. She couldn't hear her footsteps down the echoed filled hallway, nor the sound of children player in a nearby playground. She knew he tried to talk to her, but all she did was turn away and brush him off, just like what he did before.

[Name] had her back turned to Gakushuu, and she never looked back.

●○○

Hi yall, author here, just would like to say don't expect another chapter from me soon I am literally dying in my final exams right now

kinda felt bad for not giving any update so im here to give (and then disappear for 2 months)

sorry for another angsty chapter i love pain