f o u r : friends ?

○○○

"Why am I being dragged along to this?" Gakushuu asked himself, as he walked behind his air-headed mother.

It was on a Saturday and both of them were at the shopping mall. His mother, Mrs Asano, wanted to find some new clothes for her family as she noticed some of their clothes were getting too small for them. Gakushuu was trudging along behind her, carrying a couple of bags.

"How many clothes did she decided to buy?" Gakushuu sweatdropped as he glanced down at the many shopping bags at his hands.

They had just finished their shopping and was heading towards a restaurant for their lunch. Suddenly, his mother stopped walking. She was stood rooted to the ground, her expression shocked. Confused, Gakushuu decided to faced towards her direction and saw a [Hair Colour] lady staring back. The lady had the same shock expression as well.

"Hitsuko!" Mrs Asano, exclaimed, breaking the tension as she ran towards to the lady, dropping all of her shopping bags to the ground, immediately alarming Gakushuu as he suddenly remember she had brought a wine bottle.

"Mana Chan!" The [Hair Colour] lady exclaimed, as she opened both of her arms wide and embrace Mrs Asano into a hug.

"It's so great to see you again!" Mrs Asano said as they broke off from the hug.

"Same here! What are you doing here?" The lady asked.

"Well I'm shopping with my son, we just finished and was about to head out for lunch." Mrs Asano replied, gesturing her son to come to her.

"Really? Well, I'm here to have lunch with my daughter." The lady added as she steps to the side, revealing [Name].

[Name] was wearing a gentle smile on her face when she was introduced to Mrs Asano. She wore a pleated black skirt that was slightly above her knee level and a pale [Colour] blouse that was tucked in.

"Oh my! You have such a lovely daughter!" Mrs Asano gasped at the sight of the pretty girl.

"Thank you for your compliment, Mrs Asano." [Name] replied politely, the same smile Gaksuhuu always saw her with on her face.

"How did you know my name?" Mrs Asano asked, surprised.

"Well, your son, Asano Kun, is a classmate of mine. Earlier, you said that he was your son, so I assume you are Mrs Asano." [Name] explained, her voice soothing and gentle.

"My, my, Hitsuko. You've raised such a brilliant girl." Mrs Asano remarked, putting her hand in front of her mouth in pleasant surprise. Mrs [Last Name] simply nodded in agreement.

"Let's have lunch together! Asano and [Name] can have their own lunch together while we catch up, sounds good right?" Mrs [Last Name] said, winking at Mrs Asano as if she knew what she was thinking.

"Oh yes, I'll call my husband to come and pick our bags and we can head off." Mrs Asano added excitedly.

The two teenagers awkwardly stood next to their mothers, unaware of what's going on. They had a bad gut feeling that the day was going to be terrible. Before they know it, they were at a Cafè, sitting at the same round table together, while drinking their drink.

"What a small world we live in, having our mothers be old highschool friends." [Name] remarked, sipping in a few sips from her drink. Gakushuu quirked up an eyebrow, earlier, she was more polite than usual but when she's not around the two ladies, she seemed to slack off on her mannerism.

"You act a lot nicer when adults are around." Gakushuu bluntly remarked, receiving a small laugh from [Name].

"Of course, I have to always respect my seniors." [Name] replied to his comment, twirling her drink with her red white straw. Gakushuu was watching her twirl her straw around when suddenly she just, stops. He gaze his eyes up towards her, to see her staring back at him.

"What are you staring at?" Gakushuu asked, noticing her stare. [Name] shook her head, not wanting to respond to his questions but she continued to stare. It crept him out by the intensity of her stare, but he tried to ignore it, because he was in public and she's a popular figure in their school.

"You know, I've been wondering. . ." [Name] suddenly spoke, her eyes lingering on his face. "Has anyone ever told you you are indeed handsome looking?"

Her sudden remarked caused Gakushuu to choke on his drink when he was gulping it down. What a straightforward question. He wiped off some of the spilled coffee of from the corners of his mouth using the sleeve of his shirt. "Yes, I have been told." He replied promptly.

"I've just realised how nice your face looks, it's symmetrical and you have such a lovely pair of violet eyes." [Name] added on, creeping Gakushuu out even more.

"What is this girl . . ? Wait, is she trying to hit on me?" A random thought popped up in his head, quickly moving back in his sight at the possibility of it happening right then. However, the next few words that she says completely changed Gakushuu's point of view.

"Though I still don't understand why my parents talk about you a lot. . ." [Name] added on once more, Gakushuu immediately raising his eyebrows at her words. Her eyes suddenly widened when she realised what she said, placing her hand on her mouth at that moment.

"There I go again, rambling on about unnecessary things." [Name] sighed, putting her hand away from her mouth. Gakushuu leaned on the table forward, elbows resting on the metal surface.

"Tell me, [Last Name] San, what does your parents talk about when they have me in the conversations." Gakushuu asked, leaning in forward. His chin was resting on his hand, waiting for the girl's answer. She plastered on another smile.

"Why would you want to know?" [Name] countered, taking a long sip from her drink, eyes glued to the cup. "I thought you didn't like me as much." She added on, a pout then crept on her face as she twirled her straw around the mixture with her dainty finger. Her eyebrows slightly raised when she saw Gakushuu shaking his head at her statement. He leaned back on the metal chair, hands rested on his lap, interlaced.

"I don't dislike you, after all, you did help me a few days ago. By default, I am in debt." He spoke, surprising [Name] by his words. She gave a small laugh, before leaning forward, elbows propped on the table.

"Then, we're friends right?" She said, excitement glimmered in her eyes as she stared at the boy in front of her. Gakushuu thought she was rather childish for being excited over being friends.

"Yes, we are friends."

○○○