8.

FirstDayofCollege:

I woke up to the screech of an alarm clock but it wasn't mine. Abbie had classes before me but I still decided to get up with her. We were getting ready to leave, she decided to dress up a bit more than me which I was fine with. She was in a skirt and nice shirt with high heels while I was in leggings an old sweatshirt and white converse.

We were going to walk to a coffee shop on campus before we went to class but she was already late leaving me alone. I continued to the coffee shop by myself because I needed something to keep me awake. The minute I step foot in the small building my nose was filled with the beautiful scent of coffee beans, I took my place in line and looked up at the menu. The coffeehouse surprisingly wasn't crowded only a few people on their laptops or cleaning binders out.

As  I ordered I heard someone behind me say "and a caramel mocha, I'll be paying."

I turned to see the one from my room last night, Michael, I smiled at him and was about to tell him I can pay for my stuff but he had already handed the barista the money. I took my drink and took a seat at one of the open tables, I didn't expect Michael to sit down with me too.

"We didnt really get to talk much last night so I thought we could now.." he said and smiled at me. This was a good start to college, I had never really had a guy friend before, every boy at my old school hated me because Calum did... Michael and I spent the next thirty minutes talking and laughing before I realized that I had class soon, he offered to walk me but I told him it was fine. Before I left he took my phone and put his name and number in it.

My first class wasn't too far but I almost didn't make it on time getting caught up with Michael, it was my English class. As I walked in my eyes scanned the people inside only to find Mali! I ran to the open seat beside her and she hugged me before talking about how weird her morning was. Our English teacher walked in late but didn't seem sorry about it,he just walked to his desk and looked at us for a while.

"Okay, I don't have my stuff ready today so the bell is dismissed." He said in a hushed tone. Mali looked at me and giggled telling me how he always does this, she grabbed my arm and told me we were going to walk around campus for the bell. When we got out of the English wing she took me to the lounge area, we talked for while when my phone buzzed. I took it out and saw it was Michael

M: you left your notebook at the coffee shop, im coming over now to give it to u.. see u soon!!

I looked up at Mali who was still talking about her family, I felt bad for leaving her but it would be rude to leave Michael alone at my dorm. I waited for a bit but decided I had to interrupt her and tell her I had to go.

"Mali, I'm really really sorry but I have to get to my dorm to get something for my next class. Can you put your number in my phone and well meet up later, Im really sorry again." I rambled, feeling worse. She smiled and nodded, taking my phone and typing for a bit. When she handed it back she was still smiling, making me feel a little bit better.

"I understand don't worry, but as I was saying maybe you could meet my brother sometime, he's in your grade. But text me later and maybe we can go for dinner or something." She said before walking off, turning around and waving. I bolted to my dorm room hoping to beat Michael there, when I got there I didn't see Michael in the hall and sighed thinking that I had made it here first. I opened the door to see Abbie and Michael making out on her bed and my  notebook sitting on my bed. Before gagging I grabbed my notebook and left the room unnoticed.

So it was official that Abbie and Michael were.. something, that thought made me feel sick. Its not like I liked Michael or anything but I still didn't see them being anything but friends. I didn't have much time to think about it before I realized I had to get to my next class, Philosophy 101. It was quite a walk but it was also nice, before now I had never realized how pretty our campus was. the flowers and trees look like they're just blooming, the fall air wasn't affecting them. When I finally did make it to my Philosophy class there was only a handful of other people.

Based on the amount of people in my English class it was obvious to see that there were tons of people skipping class on the first day. Our teacher was already there smiling at me as I walked in, she asked for my name and I told her quietly. She pointed to an open seat next to a tall, blonde boy. I was confused for a minute until I realized she had assigned seating, it felt like high school all over again. I thought college was all about more freedom, assigned seats seems to be breaking the rules.

I walked up a few stairs and sat next to the boy who seemed to be really shy. He looked up at me as I passed him but didn't even say hi to me. The two things I noticed about him were; his eyes were gorgeous and his legs took up half of the isle making it hard to pass him. Class started a few minutes after I sat down and only a couple of people walked in, the class looked pretty empty. It felt weird to me and the guy next to me still hasn't spoken a word to me, we were the only two in our row so there was no one else to talk to and the teacher was getting boring to listen to so I decided I would have to talk to him.

"Hi I'm Elyse." I said simply, looking up at him, he looked back at me and smiled a little.

"Luke" he whispered. It was adorable how shy he was and a pleasant change from Michael's forwardness. It was weird that those two boys were the only ones I knew so far and they seemed to be almost polar opposites. The teacher continued to talk about how she would be running her class and her expectations for us, Luke wasn't making any effort to keep the conversation going so it left me alone with just my thoughts. Luke was really attractive, I haven't had a true crush on someone since 7th grade, I forgot what it felt like. Calum had made sure that all the boys in school were against me so what was the point in liking any of them

Maybe I should start liking people again,  Calum wasn't here to ruin anything for me, I was free to do whatever I wanted and what I wanted was to like Luke. Maybe this whole assigned seating thing wasn't such a bad thing, hopefully soon I could get Luke to stop being so shy around me. I looked up at the clock on the wall to see there was still 20 minutes left of this class, 20 minutes should be enough to get a proper conversation going with this shy boy next to me.

I didn't know exactly what to say to him, I was new to this whole talking to boys thing. The only thing I could think about was my next class, so why not talk about that.

"Hey, what's your next class?" I asked quickly. He looked over at me, probably surprised that I was talking to him again. He thought for a moment before getting a piece of crumbled paper out of his bag. He opened it slowly and let his eyes scan the sheet.

"Psych 101 with Mr. Houston" he read before looking back at me. I smiled knowing that was my next class too, I has studied and memorized my schedule long before school even started.

"Cool me too, do you mind if we like walk together? I don't really know where it is." I asked hopefully, truth is I did know where I was going but all the movies I've seen the girl gets the guy by playing stupid, right? He also seemed surprised at my question, there was no way he hasn't been asked this before, the boy looks gorgeous.

"Sure, uh yeah. I might not know where we are going either though but uh yeah." he stuttered. I smiled and waited until the bell rang to walk to Psych with Luke. I felt him staring at me throughout the rest of the class but I avoided awkward eye contact. Day one at my new college is turning out to be a great one.

tHANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING THIS BOOK! sorry I haven't been updating, I broke my phone and have to wait until my birthday (April 18th) to get a new one so until then my updates might be slow but seriously thank you so much for reading!