Chapter 2

Maddy stayed behind.

Not because she wanted to. But because she could tell that Elena and Alaric weren't yet comfortable with her presence.

"Looks like I'm going solo on my first day back in this godforsaken town," she told Stefan, who was gathering his belongings in order to head to Caroline Forbes' house, and help her with her transition.

"It won't be too bad," said Stefan. "You could spend the day getting reacquainted with everything. Meet a few people if you're willing."

"Ah, yes, the other members of this friend group. Does being your sister make me part of the Scooby Doo Gang by association?"

Stefan smirked. "I guess so. You'll fit right in. Trust me, they'll like you more than Damon."

"The Bennett witch might like me more than him, but not as much as she does you. Once she sees that my personality matches my big brother's more..."

"Just play nice, Mads. She's someone we need to keep on our side. We want them all to be safe, okay?"

"For Elena," muttered Maddy. "Alright. I'm off to explore. Perhaps might chat a bit with Mason Lockwood. Tonight's a full moon. If he's antsy in any way, it'll give us more information to prove our theory while we wait for Isobel's research."

She stopped by the Bennett household, taking the time only to make herself known to Bonnie, who seemed at ease given the fact that she was so formal about her introduction instead of appearing behind her and scaring her.

Next, she'd popped by the Forbes household to tell Caroline that she'd be there to help her, if she needed it. The blonde was grateful, albeit looking weary as she adjusted to her new self.

She'd introduced herself to Carol Lockwood and Liz Forbes, who liked her immediately, because they believed Damon and Stefan to be the town's guardian angels. If only they knew...

Matt Donovan hadn't been pleased to hear that there was yet another Salvatore roaming around town, but Tyler Lockwood had apparently seemed intrigued before telling his friend that he was hosting a party near the old Lockwood Estate.

"I believe that's everyone," said Maddy, peering down at the list of names of people to be wary of. She sensed a presence behind her, and knew it was Katherine when she smelled how much perfume the person was wearing. The younger vampire turned around, acknowledging Katherine's smug look. "Well, if it isn't my least favorite person in the entire world."

"Ouch," said Katherine, feigning offense. "I get that you're dumb, but really, you should be more thankful. I'm the reason your brothers didn't perish after your father shot them."

Maddy crossed her arms. "He wouldn't have shot them if you hadn't groomed them. Why are you here? If you're going to hurt me, get on with it. I already heard about you cutting off John Gilbert's fingers, stabbing Stefan, basically assaulting Damon by kissing him while under the guise of being Elena and then telling him you never loved him... shall I continue?"

"I almost forgot how annoying you are," said Katherine coldly. "This is why I never wasted my time on you in 1864. You're just a pretty face with nothing filling your head."

"Maybe I'm not a psychotic criminal mastermind like you, but I'm not stupid. If you want something from me, you best get on with it, because I have things to do."

Katherine shrugged. "I don't want anything from you. Don't even need anything, either. As much as I'd like to force you out of this town, I won't, because I don't want to hurt you."

"That's a first. What did I do to end up on Katherine Pierce's 'Favorites' list?"

She snorted. "Trust me, you aren't on my list of favorites. You're just not someone I want to waste my time on. I don't want to hurt your brothers either, believe it or not. Damon is insufferable, but Stefan has always been my highest priority."