Chapter 22

If Elena was afraid, she didn't show it.

Maddy had texted her once they were on the way back to Mystic Falls. Rebekah was constantly snapping Stefan's neck to keep him unconscious in the back seat. Maddy was riding shotgun while Klaus drove, anxiously drumming her fingers while she waited for a reply.

'Elena, we really need to talk. Klaus and Rebekah will be listening in. I'm sorry, they found out you're still alive.'

Minutes later, Elena replied, 'Okay, I can call, Damon went to run an errand.'

Her phone rang, and Maddy answered immediately, not putting it on speaker since Klaus and Rebekah could hear just fine anyway.

"I'm sorry," she said quietly. "I tried to keep it from them as long as I could. Stefan managed for months but..."

"It's okay," replied Elena gently. "It wasn't exactly wise for me to accompany Damon to Chicago the other day. What's going on? Why do they have to listen in?"

"Klaus has a theory. The hybrids haven't survived the transition on regular human blood. He believes they may need to drink your blood to become full hybrids. We're on our way to get a werewolf to test the theory out, then we'll be going to Mystic Falls. Obviously, Klaus needs your cooperation to test this theory out. If— and hopefully when— this works, you'll be kept alive. I won't let them hurt you. They'll have to go through me first, which granted, isn't all that comforting considering they're Originals and I'm... me. But—"

"I'll do it," said Elena. "Is Stefan okay?"

"Unconscious but okay."

"As long as no one gets hurt, I'll do it. I'll let my blood drain into a blood bag— I refuse to have them just cut into me and make me bleed. If this theory pans out... then we'll make a deal."

"Done," said Klaus, loud enough for her to hear. "Provided you meet us at the site where the ritual happened, with the equipment to allow you to bleed into a blood bag. Come alone, and do not tell anyone else where you are going."

"Please," said Maddy. "I'm sorry, Elena..."

"It's okay. I abide by those terms. Just let me know fifteen minutes before you get there so I can be there before you. I'll see you soon."

"See you," said Maddy before hanging up. She tilted her head sideways to look at Klaus, who simply gripped the steering wheel harder in anticipation.

Stefan gave a groan, which was followed by a snap as Rebekah incapacitated him again.

They found a werewolf on the way to Virginia, one of the loners that Klaus had not pursued earlier because there was no Pack to tie him to. He'd fed him his blood and killed him before driving the rest of the way to Mystic Falls.

Maddy let Elena know once they were almost there, and they met by the falls, with Elena having brought a first aid kit inside a medical bag with all sorts of other supplies.

Elena kept her head held high as she nodded to Klaus. She didn't waver when Rebekah told her to hand over her phone to make sure she hadn't texted anyone for help. She was calm as Stefan's unconscious body was brought out, and as the dead werewolf was laid on the ground beside her. He'd be waking any second.

Maddy carefully sat Elena on a nearby rock, gently inserting a needle into her arm to start draining just a little bit of her blood. She knew that Klaus would hear them, but she still wanted to take the opportunity to talk to Elena again, to make sure she was actually here of her own free will.

"I'm sorry," Maddy said again.

"You don't have to apologize," said Elena. "Do you have any idea how lucky I feel right now?"