Chapter 76

Aya contacted Elijah five days later.

They'd been at breakfast when his phone started to ring. He got up so suddenly that everyone went quiet, able to hear the conversation even as he went into another room.

"I sincerely hope you're calling from somewhere far, far away," said Elijah calmly when he answered.

"I think we both know I won't leave until this prophecy is averted," said Aya in response. "Somewhere out there is an elusive weapon capable of killing an Original. I'm calling to suggest we pool our efforts to find it."

"I don't play well with others."

Aya sighed, "Lucien's witch Alexis left her clues in a rather cryptic puzzle. What if I told you I had the means to put it together?"

Immediately, Klaus, Rebekah, Kol, and Freya got out of their chairs, but Elijah motioned for them not to approach. "I will meet you at the Davilla Estate in one hour."

"Very well, then," said Aya before hanging up.

"What the bloody hell is she going on about?" asked Rebekah. "Do you reckon she's serious?"

"I know Aya," said Elijah. "She would not bluff about a matter such as this."

"What if this is a trap?" said Kol. "What if she means to lure you in, subdue you, then trap Nik and Rebekah to unlink the sirelines? This is why we need to do the bloody spell right—"

"Kol," said Freya, "perhaps this is a good thing. For now, we could use Aya as a way to find the weapon that can supposedly kill an Original. Once that weapon is in our possession, we could spin a lie that it's somewhere out there, get everyone looking for it, and use it to tear them apart piece by piece."

"No," he said angrily, "that might just make them more desperate to unlink themselves. I still believe unlinking you all right now is the better option."

Elijah held up a hand. "Allow me to see what Aya knows. Perhaps we will still need to solve another series of puzzles before we determine what the weapon is. Then, we will make our choice."

He left, and Kol gave an aggravated sigh.

"You all know I'm right," he said to those of his siblings that stood beside him. "It's better we control this and everything that comes after instead of being surprised." He looked intently at Freya, "You know, part of the Nexus Vorti could be used to resurrect Finn. Back in his witch body, just like you did for me."

Rebekah and Klaus forced down their frustration, seeing the change on Freya's face. Kol had known exactly what to say to convince her to take his side.

"Hey," said Maddy, coming over with Hope in her arms. "I'm thinking now's not the time to fight about this. The conversation didn't go any better the last time we had it. Let's see what Elijah learns from Aya."

Rebekah huffed. "And what are we to do in the meantime?"

"Anything you want. Davina says some of her witch friends are coming over, there's some sort of issue they want to speak to her and Vincent about."

Klaus frowned. "Issue?"

"Yeah, something about the witch version of army recruiters, I didn't really understand because I was eavesdropping on this conversation... oops."

Klaus sighed, taking Hope from her. "Very well. If I'm to keep my anger at bay, then Hope and I will be in the art room."

"Alright," said Maddy, kissing Hope's cheek, and then Klaus's. "Bathe her when you're done. I'll see what the witches need."