Chapter 71

Maddy couldn't sit still.

Klaus and Elijah had left immediately to find Aurora. What Maddy and Elena had found odd was that just before they exited the house, Elijah had tried to tell Klaus something about Aurora, but Klaus had insisted that he didn't want to hear it. Maddy recalled Tristan's words, telling her about the secrets they were being kept from her. Was it possible that Aurora had cheated on Klaus with Elijah? Was that why she'd broken things off with him?

"I'm gonna go and talk to Tristan," she decided, once Elena had taken Anita back to her room.

"Are you insane?" shrieked Elena.

"Maybe I am," said Maddy. "He told me she wouldn't be a problem. But now she's here making threats. I need to know what he knows."

"This could be a trap! What if Aurora is with him? What if she's just waiting for you to know up?"

"Somehow I doubt that," said Maddy. "He's to Aurora what I am to my brothers. The protector. He told me she's suffered a lot because of the Originals. He said he didn't want her involved. He must have been trying to keep her from finding out about this, but somewhere along the way, she came to know of it and took matters into her own hands. I don't think he actually knows that she's here, and if I'm right, then I need to tell him right now, and see what else I can worm out of him. This is the optimal moment for me to find out if he's a bigger liar than Lucien, or if he's the more trustworthy of the two."

Elena wasn't sure how a conversation with Tristan would help her figure that out. She was powerless in stopping the other woman from leaving the house.

Maddy ran through what they currently knew while she looked through the city for any sign of Tristan.

One, Lucien could not be trusted. He was trying to find some sort of weapon and he was definitely up to something. He was the one with the advantage here, because he clearly already knew what he was looking for. Had he killed Alexis? Doubtful. His grief had seemed far too genuine. He was also still very much in love with Aurora, and a very bad feeling had Maddy thinking that he wanted more than just Aurora when it came to getting revenge on Klaus.

Two, Tristan could not be trusted. Either he'd lied about Aurora or he didn't have as much control over his sister as he thought he did. Maddy didn't think he'd killed Alexis, either. Honestly, if there was a witch talking about the downfall of the Originals, she would expect anyone to want to keep her alive as long as possible to find out as much as they could. But for Tristan to have pointed a finger at Lucien was suspicious. Had their relationship really shown no improvement in the past thousand years? They arrived in the city within days of each other. Maddy didn't think that was a coincidence.

Three, Hope was safe, when it came to Lucien and Tristan. She posed no benefit to them, and she definitely didn't pose a threat. If they wanted Hope, they could have gotten her very easily. They'd both definitely been watching them before they arrived in the city. They could have easily kidnapped Maddy and Hope with ease if that was what they sought. Even if she could sire hybrids, that meant nothing because one, they were vampires, and two, hybrids would have a sire bond to Hope, not to them, so it wasn't like they could make them do anything.

Four, Aurora was the one they needed to be focusing on. She was the only one who'd approached the Originals without claiming she was there to protect them. She hadn't approached Rebekah at all. Obviously, she had something else in mind, and Maddy needed to find out what it was. She was the one who could potentially hurt her, and hurt Hope. Whatever secret the Originals were keeping from her, whatever Elijah had been about to say, it had to do with Aurora.

Out of all places, Maddy found Tristan at Rousseau's.

"Madeleine," he said, surprised when she walked up to him while he was finishing a drink. "A pleasure to see you again."