Chapter 38

Maddy kept her feelings secret from Klaus.

She spent the following day with him, genuinely happy to be by his side, and forcing the emptiness inside her to recede to a dark pit where it wouldn't emerge prematurely and cause them to have an emotional conversation she wasn't ready for.

She didn't want to resent the fact that they had different ideas and expectations for their future together. She had to pressure herself to understand his side of it, how his past could influence his thoughts on the prospect of becoming a father to a random baby somewhere around the world. Perhaps it was the lack of blood they'd share that caused that. He'd be an adopted parent. A parent who was not truly connected to that child. Sort of how Mikael was with him. And that sort of ruin had left a mark very, very deep.

"You are exquisite," he whispered, kissing down her body. "Mm, I definitely prefer an entire day with you instead of just one night."

"I like spending time with you," she sighed in satisfaction. "As much as possible. It's just not always wise for us to spend our free time in bed when there's so much to be done."

"Let everyone else deal with the problems of the world. I wish for us to relax here together and forget anyone who is not part of this relationship."

Maddy imagined he'd hate taking care of a child, no matter how enthusiastic she would be about it. Being a parent was time-consuming and oftentimes frustrating. They wouldn't get to sleep in or have constant sex because they'd be having to worry about another little being who would rely on them for everything. Maddy could cope with it, but Klaus seemed hornier and more demanding every time they slept together. Waiting long periods of time for release would be literal torture for him.

As glad as she was for their twenty-four hours of bliss, they ended right at midnight, and the following day, they were back to their quest.

"Rebekah informed the others that the sword decodes the map," Klaus told her. "Which is just peachy... she can never quite keep her mouth shut. They have thankfully ceased their whining about wanting the sword in their possession. We will keep it until they manage to grow Jeremy's mark. What is their progress on that?"

"There is basically no progress," said Maddy. "They can't stop the vampire-killing urges, so those vampires we turned have remained locked in that well we shoved them into, hungry and unable to emerge because of the sun. Damon's apparently working on a training plan for when Jeremy stops glaring at him every five seconds."

Klaus grunted. "This is taking far too long. We ought to be holding the cure already."

The door of the art room opened, and Kol came in, fuming.

"What now, little brother?" asked Klaus irritably. "Tell me that you have finally found something about this man you have been observing for days already."

"I can't go into his mind," said Kol. "But I found papers and papers with maps leading to where I believe the cure is. He's been before."

Klaus raised a brow. "Wouldn't that mean we don't require the map?"

"We don't require it to find the cure. But we do require it to get the spell to obtain the cure." There seemed to be something that he didn't want to say to Klaus. Maddy could see Kol was incredibly agitated, but withholding the reason he felt that way.

"You're restraining yourself," mused Klaus, thinking that's what it was. "You know you need Shane alive. Which means you cannot rid yourself of him. Are you trying to be the perfect gentleman for Bonnie? You've gone soft, brother, I've never seen you quell your rage for so long."

Kol sneered. "Maybe you're the one becoming soft for your girlfriend, Nik. Bekah and I begged you to cease with the dagger threats ages ago. You never did. But Maddy says it once, and you stop."