Chapter 80

Klaus returned to New Orleans.

Given how sick Finn seemed to be feeling, according to Freya, it seemed best that he head back so that he could give him his blood and alleviate his pain. Maddy remained behind to tend to the wolves.

"It's okay," she said gently, seeing they were still huddled together. "You're free. Does anyone want more blood?" Many shook their heads. "Alright. Follow me, I'll drive us to somewhere that you can all get new clothes and some food before we head to New Orleans."

"We're not from there," said one of the older wolves. "One was. He died last week."

Maddy frowned. "So... you're not Crescents, then?"

"No," replied another. "We're from the seven packs."

The first man spoke again, "Deep Water, Malraux, BasRoq, Barry, Poldark... I'm a Paxon. They wanted our venom." He glanced over at the dead vampire. "They kept... pumping it into her over and over and over again. Then they'd heal her with some drug. Except the last time. They shot her up with something so powerful... there was no saving her."

Her eyes seemed to darken. "Come on," she said, urging them to follow her back outside. "Soon as we're out of here, I'm burning this place to the ground."

They followed behind her obediently. They all cringed seeing the sunlight, and she helped them get to a spot in the shade before she dashed inside, started a fire, and rushed out as the building began going up in flames.

She compelled a man to give her a bus, helping the wolves get in comfortably before driving to the nearest hotel. She got the receptionist to get them all the rooms on the first floor— enough for all of them to have their personal shower and a spot to rest and eat while Maddy went to fetch them some clothes. She'd ensured that they all got a good amount of food and water before she went to the nearest store, getting underwear for all, and comfortable sweaters, shirts, and sweatpants for all the wolves.

They were glad to change into proper clothes from the bathrobes they'd all been wrapped in following their showers. Maddy went room to room, helping them contact their family members and booking flights or rides, depending where they needed to get to. Most of them needed to fly to different states, where their family members would be meeting them to take them home. Maddy drove them all to the airport, where nearly everyone got off the bus, thanking her profusely as they went on the private jet that would be making multiple stops and keeping them away from crowds while they readjusted to freedom. She waited with the others who were being picked up by relatives in the area. Once everyone had been accounted for, she started to head back to New Orleans.

The house was quiet when she arrived. Slowly, she moved up to the study, and found Freya clutching her pendant tightly, in tears. Her siblings were around her, all with grim expressions on their face.

Shit.

"What happened?" Maddy said quietly.

"My blood was not healing him," said Klaus softly. "His body died. We couldn't stop it."

"He's in the pendant again," said Freya miserably. "But I am not entirely sure that it worked. It was so sudden... I just hope he's alright."

"Valerie attempted to siphon it the way she did Rebekah's hex," said Kol. "It didn't work. Normally siphoners can absorb the magic in wolf bites to heal them. But when she tried, it burned her."

"Lucien did all of this to become like his maker, and yet, my bite cannot kill an Original," said Klaus miserably. "What are we up against here?"

Elijah shook his head. "I truly don't know."