Chapter 12

Isobel was apparently willing to be helpful.

Stefan had asked Maddy to meet him at the Gilbert House after Alaric left, his hand sore from punching John Gilbert in the face. The middle Salvatore had learned that the return of Elena's mother wasn't even their biggest problem at the moment. Caroline had accidentally exposed herself to Matt, and was having to tell him all about vampires. They'd have to deal with that another time.

Now that Jenna had left and headed straight to Whitmore, leaving only John at the house, Isobel had agreed to tell the two of them and Elena what she knew about Klaus. Damon hadn't been invited for obvious reasons.

"Since I was last here," Isobel began, "I've been doing everything possible to find Klaus. We knew our best chance was to find him before he could find you."

"Best chance at what?" asked Stefan.

"Keeping Elena alive," said John.

Elena glared at him. "You don't get to talk, okay, not after everything you've done."

"So," said Maddy, wanting them to focus. "Did you locate Klaus?"

"No," said Isobel a bit dejectedly. "Nobody knows where he is but there are these rumors that are flying around. That a doppelgänger exists."

"Which means," said John, "any vampire that wants to get in favor with Klaus will be lining up to capture you."

"I'm not buying any of this," said the doppelgänger, facing her mother. "The last time that you were here, you made it clear that you didn't give a damn about me. Now all of a sudden I'm supposed to believe that you want to help?"

John spoke once he noticed the crestfallen look on Isobel's face. "Isobel's been helping all along. Klaus has been obsessed with finding Katherine for centuries. All it would take was any one of those 1864 tomb vampires to spread the word around that Katherine was still alive and it would bring him straight here to Mystic Falls, where you were bound to be discovered, so we killed them."

Elena rolled her eyes. "And almost killed Stefan and Damon in the process."

"Can we address a different issue here?" said Maddy. "Klaus is obviously not very good at finding people, because how the hell did Katherine manage to hide for so long? She may be clever but she's not that clever."

"We don't want to take any chances," said Isobel. "On the off-chance that he's actually good at finding people..." she got to her feet and moved toward Elena. "I have a safe house that I can take you to. The deed is in your name. No vampires can get in without your permission, not even me. Let me help you."

"You wanna help?" said Elena bitterly. "Then get the hell out of my house."

Isobel figured it was best to go. She tucked her hands together and walked out. Elena shook her head when John made to speak with her, as if to tell her to reconsider. The doppelgänger rushed off to her room, and Stefan followed behind.

"So you're John Gilbert," said Maddy, eyeing the man as her lip twitched. "Good to know."

"I'd rather not have a problem with you, Madeleine," he said.

"Look at you, using my name at all as if I gave you permission to. You are a gigantic dick, you know? But I guess you have to be, to make up for what you lack where the sun doesn't shine. I really don't understand how you managed to procreate but..."

John scoffed as she walked past him and left the house.

"What are you up to?" she asked Damon, calling him once she was on her way home.