Chapter 17

Stefan had one errand to run first.

Since they figured they might not have another chance, Stefan stopped by first to tell Elena what was going on with Damon, while Maddy called Bonnie to see if she found anything.

"I heard a name, when I asked the witches," said Bonnie. "I'm pretty sure it was... Klaus."

"Okay," the woman said nervously. "That's where we're headed. Listen, if we don't make it back..."

"You have to make it back, Maddy, you can't die over there."

"Bonnie, please, I need to tell someone. If I don't make it back, you and the girls and Jenna look through my stuff first, get anything you want for yourselves, and donate the rest of it. Bury me next to my mother. Pour some bourbon over my casket before you lower me into the ground. As for the money... Stefan and I have the same plan for it. There's a safe in my room that I had spelled shut by a witch. Inside are instructions so that you can give the majority of money to someone, and a certain percentage that's left can be split amongst everyone in the group. Can you do that for me? Please? Only if you confirm my death, of course. If there's no body, don't do any of that."

Bonnie sighed. "Okay. Fine. Who's this mystery person that's getting all the money?"

"An old friend who's always helped us a lot." This wasn't true, she and Stefan had intended, since 1994, that if they died, their money would go to Sarah.

"Just be careful."

"I will be. Thank you."

Once Stefan had finished talking to Elena, the siblings made their way back to Alaric's apartment. Katherine was still inside, clearly bored out of her mind.

"Hello, I've been waiting!" said Katherine irritably when she saw them. "Is Klaus still not dead?"

"He didn't come back at all?" asked Maddy nervously. Crap, what if he wasn't planning to come back? He had, to right? Katherine was there, and Klaus hated Katherine. But what if he didn't make it back in time?

"He hasn't come back yet," said Katherine. "Well? Why are you here?"

"To see if Klaus has a cure for Damon," said Maddy. "He has to. He's a thousand years old and part werewolf. If anyone knows, it's him."

"Do you have any idea where he might be?" asked Stefan.

Katherine scoffed. "Does it look like they gave me a pamphlet outlining what locations they'd hit before coming back?"

"Okay, you're not helpful," mumbled Maddy. "Is there any place he may have stored documents or something?"

"Do I look like an encyclopedia?"

"No, Katherine, you don't look like anything more than a stubborn bitch. Goddamnit, can you just say something useful? Please?"

Katherine said nothing. Instead, she rushed to them, pushing them into the wall and covering their mouths. Seconds later, Klaus and Elijah walked through the door.

"Klaus," said Katherine nervously. "You're back. Look who decided to come for a visit."

Klaus frowned. "Katerina, these aren't the two Salvatores I instructed you to keep a watch over."

"Not my fault," said Katherine, letting go of them. "Princess here managed to keep me down long enough to let her big brother out. And now her little brother came to get her."

Klaus stared at Stefan. "You just keep popping up, don't you?"

"We need your help," he said. "For my brother."