Chapter 64

The house was full the next morning.

It felt like every single person Maddy knew in New Orleans had shown up. All the Mikaelson siblings, plus Jackson, Hayley, Cami, Marcel, Elena, Bonnie, and Jo (who had until last night been tending to Vincent Griffith, a witch much like herself who'd abandoned his magic due to past trauma).

While Klaus informed them all of what had happened, Maddy took the time to call her brothers, so that they would also be in the know.

"We're coming in two days, then," said Damon immediately. "We need today to pack everything tomorrow, 'cause we're gonna be there for a few months, but we'll be there soon, Mads."

"You don't have to rush here," she said. "I know the situation isn't secure enough for you to leave just yet—"

"It's fine," said Stefan. "Valerie can keep an eye on things with the heretics. Meredith will help her, and so will Jenna and Liv. Ric will come with us."

"Wait, what? Why Ric?"

"'Cause he's got the power of an Original vampire," said Enzo, as if it should be obvious to her. "We're gonna need that."

"And he's okay with that?"

"Well, he doesn't want to be a vampire anymore, and since Jo mentioned that power transfer spell to help you when you turn, he wants to be nearby if anything happens so that you can get that power."

"Jo still isn't sure she could do that. Transferring part of his power to me to get me back to the strength I had as a two-hundred-year-old vampire. She thinks it's possible, but—"

Damon interrupted, "You got a new sister-in-law who's a witch— they'll figure it out. Just hang tight, we'll be there soon, I promise."

Maddy managed a smile. "Thank you."

She ended the call and went into the dining room, where Klaus was apparently barking orders.

"This house must be turned into a fortress," he said firmly, planting his hand on the table. "The wolves in the Bayou will be brought here as the first line of defense, and—"

"Hang on," said Maddy, making a face. "We're not going to just command the wolves to come here. They're our allies, not our soldiers. A witch could easily hurt them. I'm not risking that."

Freya cleared her throat from the side, where she'd apparently been making some tea, and they all turned to her. "I may have an idea. The spell you described... Dahlia calls it 'kenning.' Using proxies to watch her enemies for afar. But, I've never heard of it done on quite this scale."

"That's not comforting," said Hayley worriedly. "Basically every Hurricane-chugging, boob-flashing tourist on Bourbon Street is a potential spy out to get Maddy and the baby."

Freya continued, "The good news is, I know a little about how her magic works." She gestured to the tray of many teacups full of brown liquid. "This tonic will at least prevent her from using any of us. However..." she glanced at Maddy, "these herbs can cause extreme drowsiness and fatigue, moreso than what you are already experiencing."

"I don't care, I'm drinking it," said Maddy, taking a teacup. "I won't risk her jumping into my head and making me give up my own baby. I can deal with extra sleepiness."

Everyone began to take a cup, except for Klaus, who merely stared at the tray.

Elijah sighed in annoyance. "Niklaus, is there something you wish to contribute?"

Klaus shrugged. "I prefer biscuits with my tea."

The elder brother rolled his eyes as Kol snickered off to the side. "Of course."