Chapter 32

Maddy didn't want to go to the Decade Dance.

But Rebekah was absolutely insistent.

"What took you so long?" Klaus asked her the next morning when she returned while he and Maddy were in the living room.

"Alaric didn't want to hand over the stake." She held it up. "Luckily, I'm quite the charmer."

Maddy figured Rebekah must have beat him until he did her bidding.

Klaus raised a brow. "That's it?"

Rebekah assented. "The last of the white oak stakes that can kill us. Do you want to do the honors, or shall I?"

Klaus took the stake, and tossed it into the fireplace, causing the flames to flare up around it.

"Well, that's that, then," said Rebekah.

Klaus patted Maddy's shoulders. "Pack your bags, both of you. We're leaving."

Maddy was all for it, but Rebekah frowned. "Today?"

"Why not?" asked Klaus. "There's nothing keeping us here. I'll ask Elena for one more donation of blood for the time being, and we'll be off by sunset."

Rebekah pouted. "But tonight is the Decade Dance."

"So?"

"So, I'm head of the committee, we have to go!"

Klaus scoffed. "I'm not going to any dance."

"Please, Nik!" Rebekah whined. "I was planning to ask Elijah and Kol to go, too! Please, I have big plans for tonight, just go for me."

The hybrid relented. "Okay, fine. One last hoorah."

Rebekah smiled. "One last hoorah, Nik."

She skipped off, likely to convince her other two brothers to attend. Maddy heaved a sigh, frowning at Klaus. "Do we have to?"

"She'll be insufferable if we refuse," said Klaus. "It's alright, love, we'll start packing tomorrow. Heading to New Orleans is the next thing on the agenda now that the stake has been destroyed."

"And you're sure it's safe to just go there without scouting the area first?"

He raised a brow. "Do you believe there to be danger in New Orleans?"

"No," said Maddy. "But it's been a long time since you were there. A lot has changed. Maybe it's best we plan ahead a bit more. I want to leave as soon as possible, I do, but let's be smart about it so we don't end up with any problems."

"Very well. I'll have one of the hybrids scout the area." He looked up as Rebekah entered the room again. "What now, sister?"

"I forgot to tell you," she said sweetly. "It's 'Twenties' themed. Get yourselves something from the era."

She trotted off, and Maddy made a face. "Twenties themed? Oh, I don't own anything from that time anymore."

Klaus smirked. "I suppose it's a good thing we have all day to prepare."

Maddy hadn't expected him to take her into Charlottesville to visit the literal most expensive store that sold flapper dresses. He'd sat comfortably on the couches of the store, having Maddy model each dress that she tried on until she found one she liked.

Rolling her eyes playfully at him, she took the dress in hand, then dragged him to a nearby store that sold fancy suits, having him do the same until he selected an all-white suit, which she feared would get stained easily. He obviously didn't mind, he could just buy another suit or get it professionally cleaned.