Chapter 59

Klaus let Finn go.

He could have kept him captive. He could have forced Esther to find him herself. Free him if she wanted him back so badly.

But he'd seen the way Maddy reacted when he told her that Finn was chained up in an underground tunnel near the cemetery. She looked sad to hear it. And so, Klaus realized that maybe, letting Finn go was better. He had to bide his time. He couldn't hurt Esther just yet. Keeping Finn hostage might make her do something truly psychotic. And the last thing Klaus needed was for Esther to go after Maddy when she was just getting so excited about the prospect of her mother coming back.

It had been a week since she found out, and all she could talk about were all the things she'd show her mother from the modern world when she saw her again. She talked about how they'd curl their hair and go to a party, how they'd put on dresses and then take pictures before going shopping.

Klaus didn't want to burst her bubble. Neither did Damon. But for once, the two were in agreement.

They didn't think this was going to go down well.

"It's been too calm," said Klaus, on the day that the small group was going to go into the prison world to fetch Lily. "Esther has not contacted us. Mikael is still asleep. Finn has not shown his face. And Elijah even claims all is going well for him on his 'vacation.' Something will go wrong. I am sure of it."

"Stop worrying," said Maddy, cuddling closer to him. She hadn't even wanted to exit the bed. It wasn't like she could do anything to help those who were going into the prison world. So she just had to wait and hope for the best. "Everything will be fine."

Klaus huffed, not sure if he believed this. He ran his hand through her hair. "I will take you to the airport as soon as they let us know that they are back from the prison world. You can remain in Mystic Falls as long as you want, and then, I will come and get you when you are ready to return. I must stay here to—"

"—assess how big of a threat Dahlia will be," finished Maddy. "I know, and I understand. It worries me... knowing that she may get word of this in a few months and book it here. I just hope that in this extra time we have to find a way to defeat her before she shows her face, that we can really get the upper hand. So that she doesn't try to take our kid before we even get a chance to hold it."

Klaus looked down at her stomach, which was only just starting to grow. He took Maddy's hand, placing it right over the spot where he could hear the fetus's heartbeat. "Right there," he whispered. "A million miles per hour, it would seem. It's nervous, likely because you are."

"I'm excited," she corrected him, closing her eyes and imagining that she could hear the heartbeat, too. "I'm gonna see my mom soon."

He didn't want to be a buzzkill, so he refrained from mentioning that her mother might take a bite out of her carotid artery before she took the time to find out about the fact that her daughter was expecting.

Later that evening, they got the news. Those who'd ventured in had all come out, with Lily and the cure. The heretics had been left in the prison world, much to Lily (and Stefan's) dismay. At least, that meant Mystic Falls was safer. Still, Klaus felt nervous about Maddy going alone, and thus, decided that he might as well accompany her. Marcel could keep an eye on things in the meantime.

Enzo had gone to fetch them at the airport. With an excited smile, Maddy had rushed up to him, pulling him into a hug. Enzo and Klaus simply nodded at each other before entering the vehicle that would take them to Mystic Falls.

Klaus kept his head propped up on his fist, watching as Maddy went on and on about how happy she was to get to go back to the Boarding House after so many months, and how she wanted to be the one that gave their mother a tour. However, her joy had come to a screeching halt when Enzo revealed that Damon and Stefan hadn't yet told Lily about her condition.