Chapter 20

She felt better the next morning.

She'd slept alone, but she didn't actually feel lonely. She'd hugged her pillow, feeling some peace, even if it was only a little. She'd seen Klaus again when he came to tell her that they were going shopping. She and Rebekah needed new clothes before they could go and see Gloria.

"Get anything you want, love," said Klaus when they entered perhaps the most expensive store in the city. "Stefan and I will be on the couches drinking champagne and perhaps draining the artery of whichever employee bothers us the most."

Maddy and Rebekah went their separate ways. While Rebekah kept grabbing outfits and repeatedly going to the fitting rooms because of how confused she was, Maddy moved around, piling shirts, underwear, and pants and shorts onto her arm, which she would try on before making her final decision.

"There has to be more to this dress," said Rebekah indignantly when she came out in a black dress that stopped just above her mid-thigh, and had a wide V-neck exposing quite a bit of cleavage.

"There's not," said Klaus, wiggling the glass of champagne in his hand as he leaned back in one of the seats at the center of the store.

Maddy thought he resembled a king, if a king were allowed to have bad posture. One leg up on the chair beside him, the other spread a bit as he slouched, observing as the younger vampire darted around gathering garments she might like to wear. He could care less what his sister chose to wear. In fact, he found it more amusing to let her be confused.

Rebekah put her hands on her hips. "So women in the twenty first century dress like prostitutes, then. You know, I got dirty looks for wearing trousers."

Klaus smirked. "You wore trousers so women today could wear nothing."

"And what is this music?" asked Rebekah, pointing at the speakers. "It sounds like a cable car accident."

"It's dance music," said Stefan, sitting up a bit better than Klaus was.

Rebekah looked horrified. "People dance to this?"

"Yep," said Maddy. "I think the next stop should be a club because you are clearly really confused..."

She wasn't sure how to feel about Rebekah. They'd been somewhat close, given that they were dating each other's brothers. But they hadn't been best of friends in the twenties, and they certainly weren't about to be best of friends now. Rebekah didn't seem to like that Stefan and Klaus paid more attention to Maddy than her.

"Are we done yet?" asked Klaus. "You're both taking forever."

"I still need to try on the clothes," said Maddy awkwardly, holding up the growing pile in her arms.

"Why are you so grumpy?" asked Rebekah, who was also nowhere near done shopping.

Klaus was impatient. "I needed one thing from you for my witch to find out why my hybrids are dying, one thing. Your necklace. And you lost it."

"I didn't lose it. It's just been missing for ninety years." She gestured down to her dress. "So, what do you think?"

"It looks fine, Rebekah," said Maddy. "If you're going to a funeral. If you want a black dress for parties and such..." she pointed to a different section. "Go to the juniors aisle. If you look in the 'Women' aisle then it'll make you look like you have the fashion sense of a middle-aged mortal."

Rebekah was pleased with her honesty, then looked at Stefan, wondering about his answer.

"I like it," said Stefan, though he didn't seem to mean it. "What? I said I like it."